Welcome to the Whyte House Family Spoken Nonfiction Books podcast: Black History Month edition episode #107. Today we are celebrating the life of Charles Price Jones from the book “100 Most Influential Black Christians in History” compiled and edited by the editors of BCNN1.
Charles Price Jones
Founder of Christian denomination
“For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.”.(Ephesians 2:8-9)
“There’s nothing so precious as Jesus to me; Let earth with its treasures be gone; I’m rich as can be when my Savior I see; I’m happy in Jesus alone.”
A veteran of many difficulties, Charles Price Jones founded the major black Holiness denom- ination. Born in 1865, Charles Price “C.P.” Jones converted to Christianity at about age 20. By 1894 he was the successful pastor of Tabernacle Baptist Church in Selma, Alabama. But deep in his soul he was not satisfied. He came to believe that he, his parishioners and his fellow-ministers were not “toting fair with Jesus.”
As Jones studied the scripture, the hunger in his soul coalesced on the doctrine of second-blessing holiness or entire sanctification. This teaching basically states that after a person is converted, he ought to come to another crisis point in his spiritual experience. And at that point he is to yield every aspect of his life to God who will, by a work of His Spirit, enable the believer to live without known sin. For Jones, coming to believe in this work of God’s Spirit was not enough. He had to experience it, and after a time of prayer and fasting he did.
Jones continued preaching in Baptist churches, moving in 1895 to the Mt. Helm Baptist Church in Jackson, Mississippi, but he began promoting holiness doctrine. In 1897 he held a conference to promote it to the church people of the area. Many of his associates embraced it gladly, but there were always those who did not. Like many other leaders of the emerging Holiness Movement, C.P. did not intend to start another denomination. He urged unity under the slogan, “Denominationalism is slavery”. But the difference was too great and Mt. Helm Baptist chose a new name. Jones and C. H. Mason began calling their work the Church of God in Christ about 1899. By 1907, however, Mason was promoting speaking in tongues and Jones’ group chose the name Church of Christ (Holiness).
The young movement faced opposition on many fronts. A few holdouts in the Mt. Helm church successfully sued for the church property when the majority of the congregation left the Baptist fold. And a mob burned down the church’s new building, physically preventing firefighters from putting out the fire.
But the opposition never stopped C. P. from preaching and expanding the work. In the midst of some of the worst opposition, he also wrote gospel songs. He wrote over 1,000 Gospel songs, most between 1895 and 1905. “Jesus Only” was the most popular in his day and “I Would Not be Denied” can still be heard in Holiness churches, white as well as black. He continued to actively lead in the church until he fell ill in 1943. He retired in 1944 and went home five years later to meet his “dear Master.”
Thank you for joining us for this episode of Whyte House Family nonfiction books. You may purchase a copy of this book and any other Christian nonfiction books read on this podcast from Amazon.com.
Now, dear listener, please know that God—the divine Author of all things—wants to write a great story with your life as well. But first you must give Him the pen by trusting Him with the life He gave you and surrendering your heart to Jesus Christ as Savior. Here is how:
1. Accept the fact that you are a sinner, and that you have broken God’s law. The Bible says in Ecclesiastes 7:20: “For there is not a just man upon earth that doeth good, and sinneth not.” Romans 3:23 reads: “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”
2. Accept the fact that there is a penalty for sin. The Bible states in Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death…”
3. Accept the fact that you are on the road to hell. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:28: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” The Bible says in Revelation 21:8: “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
4. Accept the fact that you cannot do anything to save yourself! The Bible states in Ephesians 2: 8, 9: “For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is a gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast.”
5. Accept the fact that God loves you more than you love yourself, and that He wants to save you from hell. Jesus Christ said in John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
6. With these facts in mind, please repent of your sins, believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and pray and ask Him to come into your heart and save you this very moment. The Bible states in the book of Romans 10:9, 13: “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”
“For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Dear friend, if you are willing to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation, please pray with me this simple prayer: Heavenly Father, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
If you believed in your heart that Jesus Christ died on the cross, was buried, and rose again, allow me to say, congratulations on doing the most important thing in life and that is accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour! For more information to help you grow in your newfound faith in Christ, go to Gospel Light Society.com and read “What To Do After You Enter Through the Door”. Jesus Christ said in John 10:9, “I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”
May God bless you until next time.