Welcome to the Whyte House Family Spoken Novels podcast episode #385. Today we are reading chapter 25 of the novel “All the Bishop’s Children Book 2” by Daniel Whyte III with Meriqua Whyte.
For Dwight, Rosalind and their children, it was good to see old friends again and to fellowship like old times in Fairhope, Alabama. Sunday services were a blast. Not only were the folks at New Hope Holiness Apostolic blessed to have the Song Bird minister to them, but they were doubly blessed to have Mother minister to them through song as well. Sunday evening found the Jacobs family breaking bread at the Dimples’ house with her family and Rev. Dr. Apostle Morton, along with a few other members of the New Hope church family. Rosalind renewed her friendship with Kameo whom she had met on their last trip to New Hope Holiness at the invitation of Apostle Morton.
“Are there many job opportunities here in Fairhope for black folks?” Rosalind asked. “I couldn’t help but notice the many ‘Help Wanted’ signs.”
“Oh, yes. Quite a bit,” Kameo said. “In fact, there are two openings at the pharmacy where I work; there’s a lot of openings at restaurants; there’s house cleaning if you don’t mind doing that. Are you looking for a job for yourself or for your husband? I thought you all lived in Georgia. Are you thinking of moving down here?”
“I was just wondering if the same opportunities were available here as they are back in Georgia. I tell you, I need something to help occupy my time,” Rosalind said. “As you can tell, the children are growing up and they will be in school all day. Soon I’ll be sitting at home drumming my fingers on the kitchen table while staring at the four walls.”
“Can you sing? You can always sing along with your husband and hold Gospel concerts and charge a fee. That’s one way to make some extra money,” Kameo said. “But then you got all those children; you probably have no choice but to stay home at least until they pass through grade school.”
“I don’t know if I’m going to wait that long,” Rosalind said with a sigh.
“Me, now… I want no children and no husband. For what? Don’t get me wrong. It’s just that marriage and children is not for all people, and I’m one of those people,” Kameo said with a laugh.
Rosalind laughed as well. “I don’t know about that husband part; there are just some things a husband can do for you that can’t nobody else do.”
“You’re right about that,” Kameo said after thinking about it. “But I’m serious about the husband part. Anyway, it shouldn’t be too hard to find a job here, especially off Main Street. If you’re going to stay on into the week, I would offer to watch the children while you go check the job openings out; they seem to be well-behaved.”
“Don’t worry about that; their grandmother can watch them, or Gretta’s daughter can watch them,” Rosalind said.
“Here I am talking with you like you’re planning on staying,” Kameo said with a giggle.
“You never know what the future holds,” Rosalind said.
After making sure Mother was settled in and not in need of anything, Dwight prepared to return to Georgia.
“What do you mean you are not going back unless you go get a job?” Dwight said to his wife.
“What part of that don’t you understand?” Rosalind said. “I know I’m speaking English. I am not going back to Georgia unless I get a job once I return.”
“We’ve been through this before,” Dwight said. “You will not be getting any job. You already have a full-time job taking care of our four children. Plus, where are you going to get a job?”
“Maybe you haven’t noticed, but there are a lot of ‘Help Wanted’ signs around town.”
“No, I haven’t noticed; but I have noticed a lot of ‘Help Children’ signs around the house and I’ve heard a lot of ‘Mommy, help’ voices,” Dwight said. “And I’m not saying that to be funny either. Now let’s gather everything so we can hit the road.”
“You can make light of it if you want, but when you’re driving up the road by yourself you’ll see how serious I am. The small suitcase with your things is by the door,” Rosalind said.
“Does your mother even know you’re staying?” Dwight asked.
“Not yet. But she’ll welcome having me and the children,” Rosalind said. “In fact, I’m going to let her know right now. Breakfast will be ready in about twenty minutes.”
Rosalind bounded out the door closing it behind her.
Thank you for joining us for this episode of Whyte House Family stories. You may purchase a copy of this novel and any other Christian fiction books read on this podcast from Amazon.com.
Now, dear listener, please know that God—the divine Author of all things—wants to write a great story with your life as well. But first you must give Him the pen by trusting Him with the life He gave you and surrendering your heart to Jesus Christ as Savior. Here is how:
1. Accept the fact that you are a sinner, and that you have broken God’s law. The Bible says in Ecclesiastes 7:20: “For there is not a just man upon earth that doeth good, and sinneth not.” Romans 3:23 reads: “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”
2. Accept the fact that there is a penalty for sin. The Bible states in Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death…”
3. Accept the fact that you are on the road to hell. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:28: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” The Bible says in Revelation 21:8: “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
4. Accept the fact that you cannot do anything to save yourself! The Bible states in Ephesians 2: 8, 9: “For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is a gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast.”
5. Accept the fact that God loves you more than you love yourself, and that He wants to save you from hell. Jesus Christ said in John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
6. With these facts in mind, please repent of your sins, believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and pray and ask Him to come into your heart and save you this very moment. The Bible states in the book of Romans 10:9, 13: “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”
“For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Dear friend, if you are willing to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation, please pray with me this simple prayer: Heavenly Father, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
If you believed in your heart that Jesus Christ died on the cross, was buried, and rose again, allow me to say, congratulations on doing the most important thing in life and that is accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour! For more information to help you grow in your newfound faith in Christ, go to Gospel Light Society.com and read “What To Do After You Enter Through the Door”. Jesus Christ said in John 10:9, “I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”
May God bless you until next time.