Total Time: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makes: 6 servings
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 to 3 dried hot chiles, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can whole plum tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (16 ounces) uncooked penne pasta
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- Optional: fresh minced thyme and crumbled goat cheese
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over low heat. Add onion, chilies and garlic; cook and stir until fragrant, 2-3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, gently breaking up with the back of wooden spoon; cook until tender over medium heat, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a large saucepan, cook penne according to package directions for al dente. Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water.
- Add vinegar to thickened tomato sauce; season with salt and pepper. To make breadcrumb topping, heat remaining olive oil over medium heat in second skillet. Add breadcrumbs and fresh thyme, if desired; fry until crispy, 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add drained pasta and reserved pasta water to tomato sauce; toss to coat. Top with fried breadcrumbs. If desired, drizzle with additional olive oil and garnish with fresh herbs and cheese.
SOURCE: Taste of Home