The world-famous Rockettes have been forced to put their famed kick-line on ice for the remainder of their Christmas Spectacular shows at Radio City Music Hall after production members were hit with Covid-19 on Friday as cases in New York City continue to climb. ‘We regret that we are unable to continue the Christmas Spectacular this season due to increasing challenges from the pandemic,’ a press release stated. The Rockettes, who have been a beloved holiday staple enjoyed by kids and adults since 1933, are the latest not able to return to the stage anytime soon because of the resurgence of the virus and the new Omicron variant. Nearly eight percent of COVID tests are coming back positive and the positivity rate from December 9 to December 12 has doubled from 3.9 percent to 7.8 percent, Jay Varma, senior public health advisor to Mayor Bill de Blasio, said. The pandemic forced the Christmas Spectacular Starring the Radio City Rockettes to cancel all shows last year. Earlier on Friday, the production said it was canceling just its Friday shows. ‘We regret to announce that the four shows scheduled for today, Friday, December 17 have been canceled due to breakthrough COVID-19 cases in the production. We apologize for the inconvenience, and will make announcements about future shows as soon as possible,’ MSG Entertainment said in a statement. The Christmas Spectacular is not the only production that has fallen victim to COVID, major Broadway shows – including Hamilton, Moulin Rouge The Musical, Tina – The Tina Turner Musical, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child and Ain’t Too Proud – were forced to go dark this week after at least one of the members of the cast or crew tested positive for the virus, ABC 7 News reported.
Click here for more.
SOURCE: Daily Mail