Total Time: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 2-1/4 hours + standing
- 1 pound dried kidney beans
- 8 cups water
- 1 ham hock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Hot cooked rice
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place beans in a Dutch oven; add enough water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand until beans are softened, 1-4 hours.
- Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Return to Dutch oven. Add the 8 cups water, ham hock, bay leaves and onion powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, cook the beef, onion, salt and pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; crumble beef. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Add to bean mixture. Simmer, uncovered, 1 hour. Discard bay leaves.
- Remove ham hock; allow to cool. Remove meat from bone; discard bone. Cut meat into bite-sized pieces and return to broth. Heat through. Serve with rice and, if desired, top with chopped fresh parsley.
SOURCE: Taste of Home