WTA Says ‘Missing’ Chinese Tennis Star Peng Shuai’s Recent Videos Have Done Nothing to Remove Concerns Over her Freedom and Call for Investigation Into her Sex Assault Report

Peng joined IOC President Thomas Bach for a Zoom call on Sunday. The IOC said it ‘was relieved to see that Peng Shuai was doing fine’

Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai’s recent video appearances have done nothing to remove concerns over her freedom, according to the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA).

Peng’s welfare became a matter of international concern nearly three weeks ago after she alleged she had been raped by China‘s former Vice-Premier Zhang Gaoli.

The former doubles world number one appeared at a dinner with friends on Saturday, and at a children’s tennis tournament in Beijing on Sunday.

Also on Sunday, Peng, 35, held a Zoom call with International Olympic Committee (IOC) chief Thomas Bach.

A WTA spokesman said today: ‘It was good to see Peng Shuai in recent videos, but they don’t alleviate or address the WTA’s concern about her well-being and ability to communicate without censorship or coercion.’

Asked about the call with the IOC, the spokesman said: ‘This video does not change our call for a full, fair and transparent investigation, without censorship, into her allegation of sexual assault, which is the issue that gave rise to our initial concern.’

Click here to read more.

SOURCE: Daily Mail, Ross Ibbetson

When you purchase a book below it supports the Number #1 Black Christian Newspaper BLACK CHRISTIAN NEWS NETWORK ONE (BCNN1.com) and it also allows us to spread the Gospel around the world.