At least one person died after two moderate earthquakes struck Hormozgan Province in southern Iran on Sunday afternoon, state television reported.
Azizollah Konari, the governor of Bandar Abbas, the province’s capital and a major seaport, said that a 22-year-old man was killed when an electric pole fell on his head as a result of the earthquakes, according to a state TV report. Officials said that they had turned off power to some of the city’s districts because of extensive damage to electrical infrastructure.
The Iranian Seismological Center said that the quakes had struck Qeshm Island in the Strait of Hormuz, about 640 miles south of Tehran, The Associated Press reported. The center said that the magnitudes were 6.4 and 6.3, and that the heaviest temblor had occurred at a depth of about 11 miles. The United States Geological Survey set the earthquakes at magnitudes of 6 and 6.3.
The epicenter was about 36 miles southwest of Bandar Abbas.
State TV said that the quake had been felt in Kerman and Fars Provinces, both north of Hormozgan. The report said that President Ebrahim Raisi had ordered his senior vice president, Mohammad Mokhber, to visit Hormozgan Province as soon as possible.
Click here to read more.
SOURCE: The New York Times, Farnaz Fassihi