Welcome to the Whyte House Family Spoken Novels podcast: Holiday Edition episode #31. Today we are reading chapter 5 of the novel “Shaking The Gates of Hell” by Daniel Whyte III with Meriqua Whyte.
Pastor Grant liked to ride around town and read the marquees of the various churches to see what events they had planned in the near future.
“I’m somewhat disappointed,” he shared with Pastor Johnson after returning home. “Out of the ten churches I drove by, only one had anything planned for Halloween.”
“Sad to say, even Christians are going to take part in this secular celebration,” Pastor Johnson said. “I remember your father and I used to have a little party at the church for the children. We’d show one or two movies, provide something for them to eat, have games, give them candy, and then share the Gospel with them. Churches, today, have lost the vision and mission God has called them to; they don’t share the Gospel message of God’s saving grace as often as they used to.”
“I already told you this, but I’m planning on doing something like that this year and making it a tradition. I’m thinking more of a haunted house depicting the biblical reality of Hell. We’ll call the event Holyween,” Pastor Grant said.
“Sounds good to me,” Pastor Johnson said. “If you advertise it well, you should have a great turn-out, but know that you’re really asking for trouble from the devil.”
Two weeks before Halloween, Pastor Grant had the people all excited.
“Yes, folks, don’t be afraid of the devil,” he said from the pulpit. “He is just as afraid of you as you are of him. In fact, he is more afraid of you because he knows you can tap into your eternal power source—God—through prayer. So don’t get all bent out of shape over the devil; you already have the victory. That’s what Jesus’ death gave us: Victory over the devil. Say ‘victory’, folks.”
“I’m calling a meeting immediately after services for those interested in being on the planning committee for our Hell House project. We want it as close to the biblical depiction of Hell as possible. I am appointing Brother Ramsey to oversee this event. We’ll need volunteers so we can delegate the work.”
Brother Ramsey and his wife had gotten saved about a year ago through the church’s outreach. After delegating the Hell House project to him, Pastor Grant told him, “The devil is not going to sit back and allow this project to be a smooth ride. He is going to attack your family, but pray hard with your family and determine to fight back. Brother, I want you to know that we’ve got your back. We will be praying with you and for you.”
“Greg, I think you are going about this Hell House project all wrong,” Brother Ramsey’s wife, Shirley, said one day as her husband was going over some details. “You should use the burnt orange paint that I told you about. That would give the fire a more realistic effect. And you need toys to give to the children afterwards. And why don’t you dress up as the devil.”
“Shirley, I’ll ask for your opinion when I need it. Right now we are doing fine and things are falling into place.”
“Come to think of it, Pastor Grant should have given the job to me because you won’t even be there on the big day,” Shirley continued. “Why don’t you just let me take care of everything? Pastor Grant does not even need to know.”
Yeah, right. I hear you, Brother Ramsey thought. He knew the devil was working on his wife.
With Brother Ramsey so dedicated to the Hell House project, the devil saw an opportunity to trip up Sister Ramsey in her walk with the Lord. A doctor at the hospital where she worked as a nurse had recently divorced his wife, and he began to show interest in Sister Ramsey. She began confiding in the doctor more and more as the devil twisted her mind into thinking that her husband’s dedication to the Hell House Project was him showing a lack of love towards her.
Brother Ramsey became suspicious of the extra hours his wife was spending on the job. Those suspicions were confirmed when he came home unexpectedly one night and overheard his wife talking on the phone. He yanked the phone cord out of the wall and, upon entering the bedroom, held it up for her to see.
“You pledged to be faithful to me until death,” Brother Ramsey yelled.
“Greg, nothing’s taken place between us. All we have done is talk since you seem not to have any time to talk to me anymore.”
“How would I know whether or not you are telling the truth. From what I overheard, you seem to have had it going on for a while,” Brother Ramsey said. “You had sex with him, didn’t you? Don’t even bother to answer. You will probably lie about that too.” He turned and walked out of the room.
“Greg, I’m sorry, but nothing has taken place,” Shirley pleaded.
“I don’t know that,” Brother Ramsey said.
“If you just spent time with me like you used to, this would have never happened. You act like you’re married to the church now.”
“It’s just two week’s, Shirley,” Greg said as his wife followed him into the living room. “Two weeks, and my schedule will be back to normal. You can’t stay faithful to me for two weeks while I work on something for God?”
“God would never tell you to do something if it would mean forsaking your wife. Besides, how do I know you’re not getting close to that woman who’s on the planning committee with you. What’s her name? Mandy.”
Brother Ramsey let out a frustrated sigh. “Look, I don’t need this right now,” he said. “We only have a week left to pull this event off. I’m going to stay at my brother’s house until then.”
Thank you for joining us for this episode of Whyte House Family stories. You may purchase a copy of this novel and any other Christian fiction books read on this podcast from Amazon.com.
Now, dear listener, please know that God—the divine Author of all things—wants to write a great story with your life as well. But first you must give Him the pen by trusting Him with the life He gave you and surrendering your heart to Jesus Christ as Savior. Here is how:
1. Accept the fact that you are a sinner, and that you have broken God’s law. The Bible says in Ecclesiastes 7:20: “For there is not a just man upon earth that doeth good, and sinneth not.” Romans 3:23 reads: “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”
2. Accept the fact that there is a penalty for sin. The Bible states in Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death…”
3. Accept the fact that you are on the road to hell. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:28: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” The Bible says in Revelation 21:8: “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
4. Accept the fact that you cannot do anything to save yourself! The Bible states in Ephesians 2: 8, 9: “For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is a gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast.”
5. Accept the fact that God loves you more than you love yourself, and that He wants to save you from hell. Jesus Christ said in John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
6. With these facts in mind, please repent of your sins, believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and pray and ask Him to come into your heart and save you this very moment. The Bible states in the book of Romans 10:9, 13: “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”
“For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Dear friend, if you are willing to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation, please pray with me this simple prayer: Heavenly Father, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
If you believed in your heart that Jesus Christ died on the cross, was buried, and rose again, allow me to say, congratulations on doing the most important thing in life and that is accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour! For more information to help you grow in your newfound faith in Christ, go to Gospel Light Society.com and read “What To Do After You Enter Through the Door”. Jesus Christ said in John 10:9, “I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”
May God bless you until next time.