Total Time: Prep: 40 min. + chilling
Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried ajwain seeds or dried thyme
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter
- 6 to 8 tablespoons ice water
- 4 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chat masala seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 2 red chili peppers, minced, optional
- Green or tamarind chutney, optional
- In a large bowl, mix flour, salt and ajwain seeds; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap and refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°. For filling, place potatoes in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until tender, 15-20 minutes. Drain; return to pan. Mash potatoes gently, leaving some chunks. Stir in peas, lemon juice, seasonings and, if desired, chili peppers.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll half of dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate greased well with butter. Trim even with rim. Add filling. Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge. Cut slits in top.
- Bake until crust is golden brown, 40-45 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before cutting. If desired, serve with chutney.
SOURCE: Taste of Home