Welcome to the Whyte House Family Spoken Novels podcast episode #332. Today we are reading chapter 23 of the novel “All the Bishop’s Children” by Daniel Whyte III with Meriqua Whyte.
Rosalind, pointing to her head, waved bye to Tammi before the service was over with. She hurried home.
“Whew! Thank God no one’s home yet,” she sighed as she pulled up into the empty driveway. I don’t know how I am going to tell Tammi and the others what Apostle Dunbar said. This church has to go on. But what they don’t know will not hurt them, she thought as she climbed out of her car.
Once in the house, she replaced her church attire with her house dress. And after placing the baby in her rocker, she leisurely set about the task of fixing oven-fried chicken, collard greens, corn, rice, and cornbread. I don’t feel like it, but I guess I can whip up a pound cake.
The rest of the family returned home while she was taking the cake out of the oven.
“I thought for sure you’d still be in bed,” Dwight said as he sniffed his way into the kitchen. “Whatever it is you’re cooking, it sure smells good.” He set a couple of bags on the counter.
“I figured I could at least muster up enough strength to fix something for y’all to eat,” Rosalind said.
“We could have handled the food, Rosa,” Mother said, walking into the kitchen still holding Rachel’s and Kennedy’s hands.
“A headache does not mean I’m incapacitated,” Rosalind said. “Hey, children.” She gave her children a hug as they greeted her.
“It could mean you need more rest,” Mama Tess said. “I may be up in age, but I still know how to throw down in the kitchen.”
The family laughed.
“Children, let’s get your clothes off before you mess them up. After you eat, I’m afraid I’ll have to lay back down.”
“They may not be hungry. We had dinner on the grounds,” Dwight said. “That’s why we took so long getting back. I told Apostle Dunbar and his wife that you weren’t feeling well. They packed us enough food to last a couple days. They also wanted us to let you know that they are praying for you.”
Rosalind forced a smile. I’m sure they are, she thought as she surveyed the food Dwight took out of the bags. “I’ll put my food away then and eat what they sent. I’ll give Ketura a call later to thank her,” she said.
“You do that,” Dwight said. “And while you’re at it, go ahead and apologize and get things right with them.”
Rosalind ignored him. While the rest of the family each ate a slice of pound cake, Rosalind nibbled on the plate of food Mother fixed for her.
After putting on his kick-around clothes, Dwight reclined in his easy chair in front of the television where he spent the rest of the evening. Mama Tess and Mother visited with each other in Mama Tess’ room. The bedroom door was left ajar. Rosalind placed the two youngest children down for a nap. She allowed DJ and Rachel the privilege of camping out in the living room. Leaving her door ajar, Rosalind laid down next to Kennedy and Jessica. She could faintly overhear her mother and mother-in-law conversing.
“I don’t know why Rosa wants to go mess up a good thing at Pillar of Truth,” Mother said. “From just talking with Apostle Dunbar today, he has a great vision for a women’s ministry, which he plans on executing at the beginning of the year. She’s messing up a good thing.”
“That’s what happens when we refuse to submit to the authority God places over us and try to push our agenda,” Mama Tess said.
“If only Rosa had waited… Apostle Dunbar said he saw leadership qualities in her and he was thinking of having her work alongside his wife. But he also noticed a little bossiness in her and was making sure that she was the one God wanted him to let work with his wife.”
Sure, Rosalind thought. Any explanation to place himself in a good light. I just hope word about his plans do not get around to Tammi and the others. That would just dampen their spirits and hinder our growth.
“He saw her as an asset to the growth of the church. He even mentioned something about a person named Tammi. Do you know her?” Mother asked.
“Yes. She stopped by here once when Rosalind had just started going there. She’s pretty friendly,” Mama Tess said. “I’m afraid Rosalind will just have to learn some things the hard way. Anyway, when were you planning on moving to Alabama?”
“In a few days,” Mother said.
“You’re welcome to stay here as long as you need to, and once you move, you’re welcome to visit any time. You don’t have to wait for an invitation.”
“Thank you, Mama Tess. I was planning on staying a month, but Gretta, the lady who’s getting my house all cleaned up, says the house is ready except for the two back rooms and some yard work. I figure I’d better go and take up occupancy,” Mother said. “Plus, I do not want to inconvenience you all any longer. My grand-babies need their room. I’m so glad I was able to see them again — ”
Rosalind turned her thoughts away from their conversation and to the phone call she said she would make to thank Ketura for the food. I’ll thank her and talk as we did before to test the waters a little. I do not see where an apology is necessary. I’m sure she’ll ask about the church, and when I tell her the good crowd God has blessed us with these past four Sundays, she and her husband will see more clearly our side of things.
Thank you for joining us for this episode of Whyte House Family stories. You may purchase a copy of this novel and any other Christian fiction books read on this podcast from Amazon.com.
Now, dear listener, please know that God—the divine Author of all things—wants to write a great story with your life as well. But first you must give Him the pen by trusting Him with the life He gave you and surrendering your heart to Jesus Christ as Savior. Here is how:
- Accept the fact that you are a sinner, and that you have broken God’s law. The Bible says in Ecclesiastes 7:20: “For there is not a just man upon earth that doeth good, and sinneth not.” Romans 3:23 reads: “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”
- Accept the fact that there is a penalty for sin. The Bible states in Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death…”
- Accept the fact that you are on the road to hell. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:28: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” The Bible says in Revelation 21:8: “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
- Accept the fact that you cannot do anything to save yourself! The Bible states in Ephesians 2: 8, 9: “For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is a gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast.”
- Accept the fact that God loves you more than you love yourself, and that He wants to save you from hell. Jesus Christ said in John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
- With these facts in mind, please repent of your sins, believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and pray and ask Him to come into your heart and save you this very moment. The Bible states in the book of Romans 10:9, 13: “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”
“For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Dear friend, if you are willing to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation, please pray with me this simple prayer: Heavenly Father, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
If you believed in your heart that Jesus Christ died on the cross, was buried, and rose again, allow me to say, congratulations on doing the most important thing in life and that is accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour! For more information to help you grow in your newfound faith in Christ, go to Gospel Light Society.com and read “What To Do After You Enter Through the Door”. Jesus Christ said in John 10:9, “I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”
May God bless you until next time.