Welcome to the Whyte House Family Spoken Novels podcast episode #290. Today we are reading chapter 20 of the novel “I Know What Prayer Can Do” by Daniel Whyte III with Meriqua Whyte.
The Monday after the tremendous meeting at Grace and Truth, Kelli was placing the last of the breakfast dishes in the dish-drainer when she heard the doorbell ring followed by firm knocking on the door. After picking Justin up out of his high chair, she hurried to the door wondering who it could be as she peered through the peephole.
“Yes?” Kelli said after not recognizing the people standing outside her front door.
“It’s Mrs. Kimberley from Family and Children Services. We sent you a letter and also left a message on your answering machine. Could we please come in?”
Kelli’s heart fell. I forgot they were supposed to be coming this morning, she thought to herself as she unlocked the door to see Mrs. Kimberley and two other men standing on her front porch.
“May we please come in?” Mrs. Kimberley asked. “I’ll get straight to the business at hand,” she said once they were seated. “You should have received a letter stating that we would be coming over this morning.”
“Yes, I did receive your letter, but I thought it was mistaken identity. I forgot all about your coming over,” Kelli said.
“Okay. Well, anyway, someone from the hospital emergency room had reported they suspect child abuse coming from this residence and –”
“Child abuse? Now who told you that?” Kelli asked. “As you can see, my son is quite well and he’s not showing any signs of abuse.”
“The person told us he was brought in two, no three times, with his lower legs fractured and or swollen. We have the doctor’s report right here of all his visits.” Mrs. Kimberley handed Kelli copies of all three visits. “I’m afraid that until you can prove these fractures to be of another cause other than abuse, we’ll have to take your son into the care of the state.”
“You can’t just come in here and take my son away from me like that,” Kelli said holding Justin in a tight embrace. “I have never abused my son. I would never even think of doing a thing like that. You can speak to his doctor. He does not know exactly what is causing his legs to fracture like that. He’s looking into the possible cause. Please, you can’t take my child away from me. No, I won’t let you!”
“Does anyone else live here with you?” Mr. Dickinson asked.
“No. It’s just me and my son. My husband’s away in Germany on military duty. We will be joining him within a month’s time,” Kelli replied placing a kiss on Justin’s head.
Mrs. Kimberley and Mr. Dickinson exchanged a quick glance.
“I’m sorry, Mrs. Morgan, but we have signed paperwork from the court giving us permission to take Justin with us until this is cleared up.”
“No, no, no!” Kelli said hugging Justin tighter while shaking her head vigorously. “No, no, you can’t just take my child. Whoever told you that is lying.”
“Can you explain his fractured legs, ma’am?”
“No, I can’t. It first happened while my mother was watching him. The other two times, he was under my care. He just started walking and his legs gave way, and he hollered out in pain; his legs would swell up from time to time. You have to believe me!” Kelli looked frantically from one set of eyes to the other.
Mr. Dickinson pursed his lips. Mrs. Kimberley blinked a few times and looked away. Officer Marks took a deep breath but kept looking at the floor.
“Mrs. Morgan, you seem to be a loving mother; but we are looking out for your son’s welfare. We have to go by the evidence presented to us, and … well, it’s not a pleasant job, but I promise you we will try to get you an early court date, especially since you mention leaving to be with your husband within the month –”
“Court date! Look! What am I going to tell my husband? He’s all the way in Germany. There’s no telling when he’ll be able to come home,” Kelli pleaded.
“Mrs. Morgan, please hand your son over so we won’t have to take him by force,” Mrs. Kimberley said reaching out to take Justin.
After what seemed like an eternity of unbearable silence, Kelli reluctantly handed over Justin to Mrs. Kimberley. She wiped away the tears that were beginning to fall.
“Wait. Let me pack his bag,” Kelli said.
“We’ll get him back to you as soon as the allegations are proven false,” Mrs. Kimberley said to Kelli.
Kelli reluctantly handed Justin’s bag to Mr. Dickinson and placed Justin’s favorite toy in his hand. She knelt down in front of Justin trying not to cry. “Justin, I want you to go with Mrs. Kimberley for a short visit. Mommy will be back to get you soon.” She gave Justin a hug as she choked back the tears. “Please, may I come by and visit him?”
“We’ll make arrangements for that,” Mrs. Kimberley said handing her a card. “Here’s my number and my place of employment if you have any questions.”
Mr. Dickinson reached down to pick Justin up. “Mommy! Mommy!” Justin said squirming to get out of Mr. Dickinson’s arms while reaching for his mother.
Mr. Dickinson, Officer Marks, and Mrs. Kimberley hurried out the door to their cars. Kelli sank to the ground and cried.
Thank you for joining us for this episode of Whyte House Family stories. You may purchase a copy of this novel and any other Christian fiction books read on this podcast from Amazon.com.
Now, dear listener, please know that God—the divine Author of all things—wants to write a great story with your life as well. But first you must give Him the pen by trusting Him with the life He gave you and surrendering your heart to Jesus Christ as Savior. Here is how:
1. Accept the fact that you are a sinner, and that you have broken God’s law. The Bible says in Ecclesiastes 7:20: “For there is not a just man upon earth that doeth good, and sinneth not.” Romans 3:23 reads: “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”
2. Accept the fact that there is a penalty for sin. The Bible states in Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death…”
3. Accept the fact that you are on the road to hell. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:28: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” The Bible says in Revelation 21:8: “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
4. Accept the fact that you cannot do anything to save yourself! The Bible states in Ephesians 2: 8, 9: “For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is a gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast.”
5. Accept the fact that God loves you more than you love yourself, and that He wants to save you from hell. Jesus Christ said in John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
6. With these facts in mind, please repent of your sins, believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and pray and ask Him to come into your heart and save you this very moment. The Bible states in the book of Romans 10:9, 13: “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”
“For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Dear friend, if you are willing to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation, please pray with me this simple prayer: Heavenly Father, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
If you believed in your heart that Jesus Christ died on the cross, was buried, and rose again, allow me to say, congratulations on doing the most important thing in life and that is accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour! For more information to help you grow in your newfound faith in Christ, go to Gospel Light Society.com and read “What To Do After You Enter Through the Door”. Jesus Christ said in John 10:9, “I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”
May God bless you until next time.