Welcome to the Whyte House Family Spoken Novels podcast episode #279. Today we are reading chapter 9 of the novel “I Know What Prayer Can Do” by Daniel Whyte III with Meriqua Whyte.
Jennifer sat in front of her laptop staring at her bank account statement, especially at the amounts transferred into Mr. Francia’s account. The money she was paying Mr. Francia was leaving her almost broke.
“Dear God, I don’t know what else to do,” she prayed. “I’m going to have to drop out of med school and get a full-time job somewhere if I don’t get some big money soon. It’ll probably take a while to get on staff at a hospital. But, whatever happens, I can’t afford to get sued.”
Jennifer brainstormed about where she could get the money from without going into further debt. I can’t ask my friends because then I’d have to tell them everything and it’s my problem, not theirs. Working at the daycare center and doing baby-sitting on the side is not paying as much to keep my account balance in the positive.
Jennifer transferred another $1000 into Mr. Francia’s account leaving her with a balance of $952.43. She slammed her laptop shut, pulled on her shoes and hurried to her car. She drove across town to Cereta’s Loan and Finance Company.
“I’m sorry, Ms. Livingston, but we won’t be able to loan you the money this time around. You’re already behind on the last loan we gave you,” said Jo-Lynn Ratchett at Cereta’s. “I really should not have given you that second loan considering you were late a number of times in paying off your first one, so I won’t be able to do it again. When do you think you’ll be able to pay us something on the second loan?”
“I … I can’t say exactly when,” Jennifer said looking down. “I may be late on some of my payments, but I will definitely pay you back all of it.”
“I’m sorry,” Jo-Lynn said again.
Jennifer sighed as she walked out the loan office. She felt hopeless. Driving two blocks up the street, she stopped in the parking lot of Loans and More, but decided against going in. Before heading home, she stopped by a convenience store where she purchased another lottery ticket.
Scanning the newspaper once she returned home, Jennifer came across the section reporting the results of the last horse race. She had been scanning that section of the paper lately. The times of the upcoming races and the names of the horses that would be racing this weekend were listed. The horse racetracks were located in the next city about an hour’s drive away. I know gambling is wrong, but I have to do something, she thought. And it’s not like I’m using someone else’s money to bet.
The thought of ‘trying it just this once’ plagued her all evening. Even though she was able to shun the thought for a few days, she became obsessed with it as the date to make another payment to Mr. Francia drew closer.
A few days before the payment was due, Jennifer called his home.
“Mrs. Francia, this is Jennifer. I’m calling because I was wondering, would you please ask Mr. Francia if I could have an extra week because, as of today, I do not have the money for my next payment, and I don’t see how I can get it to you on time?”
Mrs. Francia spoke after a few seconds of silence.
“Don’t worry, Jennifer. I’ll be sure to tell my husband. You can only do so much.”
Mr. Francia was not too pleased when his wife gave him the message. “How dare you tell her it’s okay? No, no, no. Contract! She signed the contract.”
“But, Diego, she’s paid faithfully for almost a year now; surely you can loosen up this one time,” his wife insisted.
“No, no, no. You don’t understand business. If you loosen up once — just one time — ” he raised an index finger for emphasis, “ — she’ll expect you to loosen up again and again. If she misses payment by one day, I will sue — ”
“It would be stupid of you to sue her when she does not have any money. Putting her in jail still will not give you the money. Please, Diego, give her a break this time around. She’s such a sweet girl. You are blackmailing her. Poor girl. Luis is not her responsibility.”
Mrs. Francia shuddered.
“You will call her and tell her I will not accept late payments.”
“No, Diego, I will do no such thing. You take care of your own dirty work. Poor girl,” Mrs. Francia said walking away. “Poor girl.”
Thank you for joining us for this episode of Whyte House Family stories. You may purchase a copy of this novel and any other Christian fiction books read on this podcast from Amazon.com.
Now, dear listener, please know that God—the divine Author of all things—wants to write a great story with your life as well. But first you must give Him the pen by trusting Him with the life He gave you and surrendering your heart to Jesus Christ as Savior. Here is how:
1. Accept the fact that you are a sinner, and that you have broken God’s law. The Bible says in Ecclesiastes 7:20: “For there is not a just man upon earth that doeth good, and sinneth not.” Romans 3:23 reads: “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”
2. Accept the fact that there is a penalty for sin. The Bible states in Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death…”
3. Accept the fact that you are on the road to hell. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:28: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” The Bible says in Revelation 21:8: “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
4. Accept the fact that you cannot do anything to save yourself! The Bible states in Ephesians 2: 8, 9: “For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is a gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast.”
5. Accept the fact that God loves you more than you love yourself, and that He wants to save you from hell. Jesus Christ said in John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
6. With these facts in mind, please repent of your sins, believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and pray and ask Him to come into your heart and save you this very moment. The Bible states in the book of Romans 10:9, 13: “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”
“For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Dear friend, if you are willing to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation, please pray with me this simple prayer: Heavenly Father, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
If you believed in your heart that Jesus Christ died on the cross, was buried, and rose again, allow me to say, congratulations on doing the most important thing in life and that is accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour! For more information to help you grow in your newfound faith in Christ, go to Gospel Light Society.com and read “What To Do After You Enter Through the Door”. Jesus Christ said in John 10:9, “I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”
May God bless you until next time.