Welcome to the Whyte House Family Spoken Novels podcast episode #277. Today we are reading chapter 7 of the novel “I Know What Prayer Can Do” by Daniel Whyte III with Meriqua Whyte.
Mother Jamison trudged up the short pathway from her car to her front door. She paused with her hand on the knob as she tried to steady her breathing, fighting to ease the strange tightness in her chest. “Lord, it’s been a while since I had any chest pains. I ask You to remove this pain from my chest and legs.” Gasping for breath she thought, “I’ve never had it this badly before. But whatever the problem is, I know I can handle it through prayer.”
Mother Jamison forced one foot in front of the other as she made her way up the stairs to her bedroom. She sat down on the bed and looked down at her legs as she kicked her shoes off. Both were extremely swollen.
I don’t know why I’m sweating so much; the air condition in the car was blowing full blast and it’s not even that hot outside, she thought as she closed the door to her bedroom. As quickly as she could, she replaced her sweaty clothes with a more comfortable dress. I think I’ll just rest my legs for about fifteen minutes before fixing dinner. She tucked some pillows under her legs.
Her fifteen minutes turned out to be an hour of uncomfortable sleep.
“Have a great evening, Mr. Mulligan. Be sure to tell Mrs. Mulligan I said hello,” Aubrey said to her last customer for the day. “Thank You, Lord, for opening up that door and giving me another contract—signed with eighty percent down.” She rejoiced as she locked up for the night. I haven’t heard from Mother. She must have decided to stay a while with her friend.
Aubrey picked up her phone to call her husband. “Hello, Quintin, honey. I’ve just locked up for the day,” she said. “I closed another deal. Isn’t God good?”
“Praise the Lord,” Quintin replied.
“I’ll be home in an hour to fix dinner,” Aubrey said. “I haven’t heard from Mother. She went to visit one of her church friends. I’m going to check to see if she’s made it in yet.”
“Alright. I’ll see you later,” Quintin said.
Aubrey slid open the sliding glass door which separated her office from the living quarters of her mother’s home.
“Mother,” she called as she hurried up the stairs. She heard coughing coming from the bedroom. Aubrey swung the door open to see her mother holding her neck.
“Mother!” Aubrey exclaimed. She quickly pulled her mother up to a sitting position.
Mother Jamison, gasping for air, was unable to speak. Aubrey saw panic in her eyes. Her mother’s skin seemed pale and she was sweating profusely. She gagged again and coughed up blood. Aubrey quickly dialed 9-1-1.
By the time the ambulance arrived, the coughing had subsided even though she was still taking rapid, shallow breaths, and rubbing her chest. After securing Mother Jamison on the stretcher and carefully placing her in the back of the ambulance, one of the EMTs helped Aubrey into the back.
“Change of plans,” Aubrey told her husband over the phone. After listening to his wife tell him what had taken place, Quintin calmly said, “Let’s pray.”
“I’m on my way,” he assured her. “Just pray your way through. You know what prayer can do.”
“I will. We’re at the hospital now.” Aubrey clicked her phone off and hopped out of the ambulance. The EMTs wheeled her mother through the double doors into the emergency room.
Thank you for joining us for this episode of Whyte House Family stories. You may purchase a copy of this novel and any other Christian fiction books read on this podcast from Amazon.com.
Now, dear listener, please know that God—the divine Author of all things—wants to write a great story with your life as well. But first you must give Him the pen by trusting Him with the life He gave you and surrendering your heart to Jesus Christ as Savior. Here is how:
- Accept the fact that you are a sinner, and that you have broken God’s law. The Bible says in Ecclesiastes 7:20: “For there is not a just man upon earth that doeth good, and sinneth not.” Romans 3:23 reads: “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”
- Accept the fact that there is a penalty for sin. The Bible states in Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death…”
- Accept the fact that you are on the road to hell. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:28: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” The Bible says in Revelation 21:8: “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
- Accept the fact that you cannot do anything to save yourself! The Bible states in Ephesians 2: 8, 9: “For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is a gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast.”
- Accept the fact that God loves you more than you love yourself, and that He wants to save you from hell. Jesus Christ said in John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
- With these facts in mind, please repent of your sins, believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and pray and ask Him to come into your heart and save you this very moment. The Bible states in the book of Romans 10:9, 13: “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”
“For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Dear friend, if you are willing to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation, please pray with me this simple prayer: Heavenly Father, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
If you believed in your heart that Jesus Christ died on the cross, was buried, and rose again, allow me to say, congratulations on doing the most important thing in life and that is accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour! For more information to help you grow in your newfound faith in Christ, go to Gospel Light Society.com and read “What To Do After You Enter Through the Door”. Jesus Christ said in John 10:9, “I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”
May God bless you until next time.