Welcome to the Whyte House Family Spoken Novels podcast episode #275. Today we are reading chapter 5 of the novel “I Know What Prayer Can Do” by Daniel Whyte III with Meriqua Whyte.
Aubrey continued operating her home interior design business from her mother’s home. She called it La Mistique. Business increased as word got around about the quality of her work. One late lunch hour after a busy morning of visiting two clients’ places of business to get a better picture of how to go about redecorating their offices, she returned home to have lunch with her mother who had a busy morning herself visiting some of the members of the church. While sitting around the kitchen table laughing and exchanging the morning’s events, Mother Jamison started to heave intermittently.
“Are you alright, Mother? My goodness, your lips are getting pale.” Aubrey jumped out of her chair and hurried to her mother’s side. “Mother!”
“I’m … alright. Just having difficulty breathing,” she said as her chest heaved up and down.
Aubrey placed her arms under her mother’s armpits to help her up from the chair. “Come on. You need to lie down.” She helped her mother to the couch and made her as comfortable as possible. “Let me put the cushions under your head to raise you up a little.”
“That will help. Thank you,” Mother Jamison said. The heaving gradually subsided. “It’s probably not anything serious,” she said after Aubrey suggested taking her to the emergency room.
“Probably? You’re not even sure yourself,” Aubrey said. “How many times has this happened? I know of at least one time—while I was on my honeymoon.”
Mother Jamison smiled faintly. “It will go away as at other times.”
“You mean to tell me there have been other times? I’m calling Dr. Valentino.”
“Aubrey, don’t bother her. I’m fine. I probably exerted myself too much this morning.”
“Well, I’ll tell you what you’re going to do. You’re going to stay on this couch the rest of this evening until it’s time for you to go to bed. And I’m spending the night here,” Aubrey said firmly.
“Okay, baby. If you insist.”
“Quintin, I don’t feel comfortable leaving Mother here by herself anymore,” Aubrey said to her husband over the phone later that night. “Can you try talking to her again about coming to stay with us?”
“I’ll try, but I can’t make her. She’s a little stubborn like you,” he said with a chuckle.
Aubrey smiled. “I won’t refute that. On a serious note though, the way she was heaving and turning pale, that’s more than a little problem.”
“Why don’t you go ahead and make an appointment with her doctor and take her in yourself,” her husband suggested.
“That’s exactly what I’m going to do first thing in the morning.”
When Aubrey called Dr. Valentino’s office the following morning, she was told that Dr. Valentino would be in surgery most of the day. However, after Aubrey described her mother’s symptoms, Dr. Valentino made time to examine her at the hospital that evening.
“Thank you so much, Dr. Valentino,” Aubrey said. “I believe Mother’s taking it too lightly. I just believe it’s more serious than what she’s telling me.”
Dr. Valentino did a series of tests and chest x-rays, but could find nothing specific regarding Mother Jamison’s condition.
“My best suggestion is to take it easy. Get more rest and it would be nice if you had someone to come by and help you with your housework,” Dr. Valentino said. “If the symptoms happen again, try to remember what activities you were involved in before the symptoms showed up, what position you were in—lying down or standing up, also what you were eating. It might be a reaction to something you ate. In the meantime cut back on your salt intake.”
Thank you for joining us for this episode of Whyte House Family stories. You may purchase a copy of this novel and any other Christian fiction books read on this podcast from Amazon.com.
Now, dear listener, please know that God—the divine Author of all things—wants to write a great story with your life as well. But first you must give Him the pen by trusting Him with the life He gave you and surrendering your heart to Jesus Christ as Savior. Here is how:
- Accept the fact that you are a sinner, and that you have broken God’s law. The Bible says in Ecclesiastes 7:20: “For there is not a just man upon earth that doeth good, and sinneth not.” Romans 3:23 reads: “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”
- Accept the fact that there is a penalty for sin. The Bible states in Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death…”
- Accept the fact that you are on the road to hell. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:28: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” The Bible says in Revelation 21:8: “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
- Accept the fact that you cannot do anything to save yourself! The Bible states in Ephesians 2: 8, 9: “For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is a gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast.”
- Accept the fact that God loves you more than you love yourself, and that He wants to save you from hell. Jesus Christ said in John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
- With these facts in mind, please repent of your sins, believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and pray and ask Him to come into your heart and save you this very moment. The Bible states in the book of Romans 10:9, 13: “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”
“For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Dear friend, if you are willing to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation, please pray with me this simple prayer: Heavenly Father, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
If you believed in your heart that Jesus Christ died on the cross, was buried, and rose again, allow me to say, congratulations on doing the most important thing in life and that is accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour! For more information to help you grow in your newfound faith in Christ, go to Gospel Light Society.com and read “What To Do After You Enter Through the Door”. Jesus Christ said in John 10:9, “I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”
May God bless you until next time.