Death Toll in Florida Condo Collapse Rises to 36

Rescue workers handle a tarp containing recovered remains at the site of the collapsed Champlain Towers South. Lynne Sladky/AP

The death toll at a collapsed Florida condo building continued to climb Tuesday, with another four bodies recovered by early evening, leaving 36 people now confirmed dead, officials said at a press briefing.

“Due to the hard work today, despite the rain and the other adverse conditions, we have recovered four additional victims,” Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava told reporters — hours after four other bodies were found in the rubble.

Cava said 29 of the bodies have been identified.

Another 109 people are still missing.

The mayor also said she received a call from President Joe Biden earlier in the day to check on the progress of the rescue efforts.

FEMA and other federal agencies are now on the site of the collapse, she said.

The update comes as hundreds of first responders continue to sift through the ruins of Champlain Towers South in Surfside, which collapsed early June 24.

Click here to read more.

SOURCE: New York Post, Jorge Fitz-Gibbon

When you purchase a book below it supports the Number #1 Black Christian Newspaper BLACK CHRISTIAN NEWS NETWORK ONE (BCNN1.com) and it also allows us to spread the Gospel around the world.