Total Time: Prep: 35 min. Cook: 3-1/2 hours
Makes: 8 servings (2-1/4 quarts)
- 10 ears fresh corn (about 5-1/2 cups)
- 1-1/4 to 2 cups water
- 6 bacon strips, chopped
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 2 small green peppers, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 medium lime, zested and juiced
- Optional toppings: Fresh cilantro, lime wedges, sliced jalapeno, chopped bell pepper and crumbled cotija cheese
- Cut corn off cobs. Rub the edge of a knife over each cob to milk it; add enough water to cob juice to equal 2 cups. Add corn and liquid to a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, 5-7 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 2 tablespoons in pan. Add the onions, green peppers and jalapeno to skillet; cook and stir over medium-high heat until soft, 3-4 minutes. Add seasonings and cook 1 minute longer; transfer to slow cooker. Cook on low 3-1/2 to 4 hours or until corn is tender and mixture has thickened slightly.
- Stir in cream and lime zest and juice. If desired, puree mixture with an immersion blender to desired consistency. Garnish with reserved bacon. Sprinkle with optional toppings as desired.
SOURCE: Taste of Home