Welcome to the Whyte House Family Spoken Novels podcast episode #234. Today we are reading chapter 4 of the novel “I Need Someone to Pray with Me” by Daniel Whyte III with Meriqua Whyte.
“O thou that hearest prayer, unto thee shall all flesh come.”
“To him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin… But such were some of you.” These words plagued Simone on her ride home from church and throughout the early part of the week. Living with Kelvin had never bothered her before, but now that she knew the truth, her mind was in a state of unrest. Being a new Christian, she did not know it was the Holy Spirit gently reminding her to do the right thing.
“How was church?” Kelvin asked her on Sunday once she returned home. It was a habit of hers to share with him what the preacher had preached on.
“Very interesting,” Simone replied. “I’ll have to think more on what Pastor Ashton said before I can even begin to share it with you. I’m gonna ask Mother Jamison to explain it to me some more.”
“That deep, huh?” Kelvin said, turning his attention back to the football game on television.
“She can probably explain it better to you than I could,” Simone said. She felt guilty, knowing that was not the real reason. Their Sunday meal was simple: spaghetti and Italian meatballs with salad. Kelvin was into the game so much he didn’t even notice she had gone to the bedroom to finish her dinner. She laid on the bed thinking about the sermon when her ringtone interrupted her thoughts. It was Aubrey.
“How’s your evening going?” Aubrey asked.
“Good and not so good.”
“What do you mean?”
“Everything is going well. But that message Pastor Ashton preached is still eating me up,” Simone explained. “I know what to do, I just don’t know how to go about doing it.”
“I just got off the phone with Kelli, she and I were talking about it. It was a pretty convicting message. Kelli said she’s going to send Trevor an email and tell him they’re going to have to get married as soon as they can when he gets back.”
“Really? So God convicted her too?” Simone sighed. “I just don’t know how Kelvin’s going to take it, Aubrey. I love him so much. I can’t imagine life without him. And, child, the sex is so good. We often talk about us being together for life, or should I say, ‘living together’.”
“Why don’t you two just get married?” Aubrey asked. “That would solve everything.”
“I thought about that before, but I just don’t want to be tied down to any man. I want to be free to leave if I want to. I don’t know how many times we’ve had an argument and I ended it by telling him, ‘We’re not married so I don’t have to take your mess’.”
“Well, now that you know better you ought to do better. Remember, God don’t like ugly, plus, I haven’t been to a wedding in a long time,” Aubrey said.
Simone sighed. “I think I’ll just pray about it some more and ask God to show me what to do.”
“Simone, God has already shown you what to do, and you need to listen because God doesn’t play. Remember Jamaal?”
“Yeah, but that’s different.”
“Yes. Different events, same principle. Jamaal knew to do good but he didn’t do it, so God took him home. Now that you know the right thing to do, you ought to do it,” Aubrey replied. “Remember when we were at the Cafe? We all were going to put God to the test and your prayer was that you and Kelvin would have a long life together. God wants you to have that, but He wants you to start off right by marrying Kelvin.”
“What if Kelvin doesn’t want to get married?” Simone asked. “Then what will I do?”
“Why wouldn’t he want to marry you? You’ve been living together for two years. All you’d have to do is exchange some words before Pastor Ashton and some friends and then go back to living together again.”
“I keep thinking there is something else I need to do…”
“If you’re talking about praying some more, you’re using that as a cop-out. You’ve already prayed at the altar, God showed you what to do, now it’s showtime; it’s time to perform, girl. Why don’t you just trust God Kelvin will say yes, that he’ll marry you?”
“Aubrey, you don’t get it. Look at you and Jamaal. Jamaal was sweet and loving to you before you both got married, but changed right after. I don’t want that.”
“Well, if you’re scared to marry him, then you have no choice but to leave him; that’s what God said to do. Have you forgotten that part of the message already?”
Simone fell silent.
Thank you for joining us for this episode of Whyte House Family stories. You may purchase a copy of this novel and any other Christian fiction books read on this podcast from Amazon.com.
Now, dear listener, please know that God—the divine Author of all things—wants to write a great story with your life as well. But first you must give Him the pen by trusting Him with the life He gave you and surrendering your heart to Jesus Christ as Savior. Here is how:
- Accept the fact that you are a sinner, and that you have broken God’s law. The Bible says in Ecclesiastes 7:20: “For there is not a just man upon earth that doeth good, and sinneth not.” Romans 3:23 reads: “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”
- Accept the fact that there is a penalty for sin. The Bible states in Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death…”
- Accept the fact that you are on the road to hell. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:28: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” The Bible says in Revelation 21:8: “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
- Accept the fact that you cannot do anything to save yourself! The Bible states in Ephesians 2: 8, 9: “For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is a gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast.”
- Accept the fact that God loves you more than you love yourself, and that He wants to save you from hell. Jesus Christ said in John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
- With these facts in mind, please repent of your sins, believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and pray and ask Him to come into your heart and save you this very moment. The Bible states in the book of Romans 10:9, 13: “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”
“For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Dear friend, if you are willing to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation, please pray with me this simple prayer: Heavenly Father, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
If you believed in your heart that Jesus Christ died on the cross, was buried, and rose again, allow me to say, congratulations on doing the most important thing in life and that is accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour! For more information to help you grow in your newfound faith in Christ, go to Gospel Light Society.com and read “What To Do After You Enter Through the Door”. Jesus Christ said in John 10:9, “I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”
May God bless you until next time.