This is the Black Christian News Network One podcast. Here are the top stories you need to know about today.
According to WUSA9, Fairfax County Police say two suspects are now in custody in connection with the murder of a husband and wife, both military veterans, in Springfield. On Thursday, Fairfax County police released a photo of one of the men responsible: 20-year-old Ronnie Keandre Marshall. The other suspect that was arrested was later identified by authorities as 19-year-old D’Angelo Strand. Both men are facing two counts of second-degree murder along with two counts of use of a firearm in a commission of a felony. Investigators with the Fairfax County Police Department tell WUSA9 that the suspects and one of the victims’ family members are believed to be co-workers. According to Fairfax County Police, the two military veterans were shot to death in their front yard in Springfield Wednesday morning. Police said they believe the deaths are connected to a dispute or burglary at the house that they were called to just two days earlier. Fairfax County Police Chief Kevin Davis said the victims were “viciously shot and killed up close at point-blank range” outside their home in the 8000 block of Flint Street. Police identified the man and woman killed as 55-year-old Edward McDaniel Jr., and his 63-year-old wife, Brenda McDaniel. Edward McDaniel was currently an active duty full-bird colonel in the U.S. Army. It is not known at this time which branch of the military Brenda McDaniel served in. Major Ed O’Carroll of Fairfax Police described both victims as “physicians” and “honorable soldiers.”
According to the Daily Mail, Black Lives Matter co-founder Patrisse Cullors is stepping down as executive director of the organization amid controversy over her $3 million property portfolio. Cullors, who has been at the helm of the Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation for nearly six years, announced the news on Thursday. The 37-year-old activist told The Associated Press that she is leaving to focus on other projects, including the upcoming release of her second book and a multi-year TV development deal with Warner Bros. ‘I’ve created the infrastructure and the support, and the necessary bones and foundation, so that I can leave,’ Cullors stated. ‘It feels like the time is right.’ However, her departure comes after it was revealed last month that she has amassed a $3 million property portfolio, despite describing herself as a trained Marxist”. Cullors faced fierce backlash over revelations about her personal spending – including the recent purchase of a $1.4 million home in a ritzy L.A. neighborhood. It caused many to question what percentage of BLM donations were actually going towards social justice programs.
According to The New York Times, Charleston County has agreed to pay $10 million to the family of Jamal Sutherland, who died after being pepper-sprayed and tasered by police in January. Sutherland had initially been at a mental health facility, Palmetto Lowcountry Behavioral Health, but was arrested and taken to Al Cannon Detention Center after he allegedly assaulted a staff worker. One day after his arrest, officers tried to get him out of his cell for a court hearing, but when Sutherland did not want to leave his cell, the officers pepper-sprayed him. He told the officers “I can’t breathe,” but they continued to Taser him anyway, and an officer even put a knee on his back, a video of the incident shows. The settlement comes on the one-year anniversary of George Floyd’s death, and follows other major settlements, including a $10 million settlement for Andre Hill, a Black man who was killed by a police officer last year. The officers involved in Sutherland’s death, Sgt. Lindsay Fickett and Detention Deputy Brian Houle, have been fired but a pending investigation will determine whether the two should face criminal charges.
According to the Daily Mail, On Thursday, the backlash to Chicago mayor Lori Lightfoot’s decree hit a new level, with a white reporter from the Daily Caller suing her in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. The lawsuit, filed by Daily Caller News Foundation and Judicial Watch, alleges that Thomas Catenacci was denied an interview by Lightfoot because he is white. The lawsuit claims Catenacci’s First Amendment rights were violated, as well as his Fourteenth Amendment right to equal protection. Lightfoot, who assumed office in May 2019, announced last Tuesday that she would only grant one-on-one interviews to ‘black and brown’ reporters to mark her two-year anniversary in office. Her announcement about the temporary policy sparked anger from reporters of all colors, but Lightfoot doubled down on her decision the next day, insisting it was part of her lifelong battle for diversity and inclusion. While the lawsuit doesn’t specify if Lightfoot is being sued for damages, it does include request for a jury trial.
According to Reuters, A boat ferrying about 200 people capsized in the northwestern Nigerian state of Kebbi on Wednesday but the number of casualties remains unclear, a state spokesman said. The wooden boat capsized near Wara, a town on the shores of Kainji Lake, part of the Niger River, said Yahaya Sarki, a spokesman the governor of Kebbi. It had about 200 passengers on board, coming from the neighbouring Nigerian state of Niger. “Bodies are still being recovered. We can’t ascertain the number for now,” Sarki said. One survivor, Buhari Abubakar, said about 40 people have been rescued so far, though many of the other passengers, mostly women and children, are still missing. Five bodies were recovered as of Wednesday evening, though local people expect more to wash up in the coming days, said Qasimu Umar Wara, a Wara resident. “The boat was overloaded, he said. “My brother is among those missing. This is the worst boat accident that has happened in this water.” Many of the passengers were returning from a newly-discovered gold vein in Niger, Wara said. “They usually go there in the evenings and return to Wara in the morning,” he said. “Most of them are petty traders, food vendors and the local miners.”
According to USA Today, The teenage girl who filmed the murder of George Floyd says she is still traumatized by what she witnessed a year ago. “It’s a little easier now, but I’m not who I used to be. A part of my childhood was taken from me,” Darnella Frazier, 18, wrote in a statement posted to her Facebook page Tuesday. Floyd, a Minneapolis Black man, died a year ago on Memorial Day during an arrest. Frazier, then 17 years old, was visiting a local convenience store with her 9-year-old cousin when she saw ex-police officer Derek Chauvin and several other officers restraining Floyd on the ground. She recorded the incident on her cell phone as she and other bystanders pleaded with them to get off Floyd, who repeatedly said he couldn’t breathe. Frazier’s cell phone recording was key evidence in Chauvin’s murder trial. Her testimony helped lead to a conviction. “A lot of people call me a hero even though I don’t see myself as one,” she wrote Tuesday. “I was just in the right place at the right time. Behind this smile, behind these awards, behind the publicity, I’m a girl trying to heal from something I am reminded of every day.” For capturing the event that sparked months of nationwide Black Lives Matter protests, Frazier was awarded the 2020 PEN/Berenson Courage Award in December from Oscar-winning director Spike Lee. But she has also dealt with a mistrust of police, panic and anxiety attacks. Frazier said she and her family had to stay in hotels because her home “was no longer safe.” “Even though this was a traumatic life-changing experience for me, I’m proud of myself. If it weren’t for my video, the world wouldn’t have known the truth. I own that. My video didn’t save George Floyd, but it put his murderer away and off the streets,” she wrote.
According to Variety, Howard University announced today that the newly re-established college of fine arts, led by Dean Phylicia Rashad, will be named the Chadwick A. Boseman College of Fine Arts in honor of the late actor and distinguished alumnus. Boseman died in August 2020 at age 43, after he was diagnosed with colon cancer. In a statement celebrating the announcement, Boseman’s family shared their gratitude for Howard President Wayne A. I. Fredrick and the Board of Trustees for honoring their beloved Chad with the renaming of the institution. “Chad fought to preserve the College of Fine Arts during his matriculation at Howard and remained dedicated to the fight throughout his career, and he would be overjoyed by this development,” the Boseman family said. “His time at Howard University helped shape both the man and the artist that he became, committed to truth, integrity and a determination to transform the world through the power of storytelling,” the statement continued. “We are confident that under the dynamic leadership of his former professor and mentor the indomitable Phylicia Rashad that the Chadwick A. Boseman College of Fine Arts will inspire artistic scholars for many generations.” Boseman’s wife, Simone Ledward-Boseman, also shared her support for the move. Though Boseman’s full tenure at Howard was formative, the actor was particularly impacted by his time and training with Rashad, whose appointment as dean was announced earlier this month.
You can read these stories and more at BlackChristianNews.com .
In closing, remember, God loves you. He always has and He always will. John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” If you don’t know Jesus as your Saviour, today is a good day to get to know Him. Just believe in your heart that Jesus Christ died, was buried, and rose from the dead for you. Pray and ask Him to come into your heart and He will. Romans 10:13 says, “For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Thanks so much for listening and may God bless your day!