Total Time: Prep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
Makes: 2 Stromboli (8 servings each)
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound ground beef, cooked and drained
- 1 package (3-1/2 ounces) sliced pepperoni
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Place each loaf of bread dough in a large greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Punch dough down. Roll each loaf into a 15×12-in. rectangle.
- In a small bowl, combine eggs, oil and seasonings. Brush over each dough to within 1/2 in. of edges; set remaining egg mixture aside. Layer beef, pepperoni, cheeses and onion on each dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up each, jelly-roll style, beginning with a long side. Tuck ends underneath; seal edges well.
- Place each, seam side down, on a greased baking sheet. Brush with egg mixture. Bake until lightly browned, 30-35 minutes, brushing with egg mixture midway through baking. Let stand 5-10 minutes before cutting.
SOURCE: Taste of Home