The two men arrested in the Swiss town of Winterthur near Zurich last week over possible links to a jihadist shooting attack in Vienna on Nov. 2 visited the attacker in July and he may have visited the Zurich region, Swiss media reported on Sunday.
In Vienna, a court ordered two more people to be remaned in custody in relation to the attack, in which four people were killed, taking the total in custody there to 10, a spokeswoman for the court told Reuters, confirming reports in Austrian media.
The Swiss reports shed a further spotlight on the once prominent industrial centre near Zurich, where officials say a now-shuttered mosque attracted preachers who espoused “hate speech”. A man dubbed the “Emir of Winterthur” was sentenced to 50 months in jail in September for recruiting for Islamic State.
Swiss newspaper NZZ am Sonntag said the two men, aged 18 and 24, travelled to Vienna between July 16 and July 20 to meet the future attacker in an unknown location, citing “two well-informed people”.