Total Time: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 10 min./batch
Makes: 8 servings
- 2-1/4 cups water, divided
- 1 cup dried red lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup bulgur (fine grind)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 6 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 8 flatbreads wraps
- 8 tablespoons Sriracha mayonnaise
- TOPPINGS: lettuce leaves, sliced tomato and sliced onions
- Place 2 cups water and lentils in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until lentils are tender, 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in bulgur and 1 teaspoon salt. Cover and let stand until tender and liquid is absorbed, 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender, 8-10 minutes. Add cumin and chili powder; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from heat. Add onion mixture to lentil mixture. Stir in egg, green onions, parsley and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, mixing lightly but thoroughly. If needed, add remining 1/4-cup water, one tablespoon at a time to help mixture stay together when squeezed; shape into eight 1/2-in.-thick patties.
- In the same skillet, heat remaining 4 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add burgers in batches; cook until golden brown, 3-5 minutes on each side. Serve in wraps with Sriracha mayonnaise and toppings of your choice.
SOURCE: Taste of Home