Total Time: Prep: 45 min. Bake: 15 min.
Makes: 2 dozen
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1-1/2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 container (15 ounces) whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup plus 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes, divided
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 packages (18 ounces each) Hawaiian sweet rolls
- 1-1/2 cups marinara sauce
- 24 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place eggs and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip eggplant slices in eggs; coat with crumbs. In a large skillet, cook eggplant in oil in batches until golden brown on both sides; drain on paper towels.
- In a small bowl, mix ricotta, 1/3 cup Parmesan, lemon juice, 1 teaspoon parsley flakes, lemon zest and kosher salt. Spread over roll bottoms. Place in 2 greased 13×9-in. baking dishes. Top with eggplant, marinara and mozzarella. Replace roll tops. Brush with melted butter; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and 1 teaspoon parsley.
- Bake, uncovered, until golden brown and cheese is melted, 15-20 minutes. Serve with additional warmed marinara.
SOURCE: Taste of Home