Boris Johnson last night warned that Britain was ‘seeing a second wave coming in’ as he contemplated six months of ‘on-off’ restrictions to tackle the upsurge in coronavirus cases.
The Prime Minister, who fears the country is six weeks behind Spain and France, said it was ‘inevitable’ that a second wave would reach the UK.
He is now looking at six months of ‘on-off’ nationwide restrictions amid concerns in Downing Street that the public is ignoring rules on social gatherings.
The new approach to get the country through winter would see it alternate periods of stricter measures with intervals of relaxation.
Fortnight-long ‘circuit breakers’ would see tough restrictions introduced temporarily across the whole country to suppress the virus, before they would be lifted for a time and then re-introduced if necessary.
Measures could include bans on social contact between households, shutting down hospitality and leisure venues such as bars and restaurants, or restricting their opening hours.
The Government is also looking at the possibility of introducing ‘targeted shielding’ that would see people with serious medical conditions given tailored advice.
Unlike previously when more than two million people across England were given blanket instructions to stay at home for several months, individuals would be given more specific recommendations according to how vulnerable they were deemed to be.
There is concern in No 10 that people are flouting the ‘rule of six’ that came into force in England on Monday.
Mr Johnson said last night said he was considering whether the Government needed to ‘go further’ than the current national restrictions.
Click here to read more.
SOURCE: Daily Mail, John Stevens