Total Time: Prep: 20 min. + standing Bake: 35 min.
Makes; 12 servings
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter, softened, divided
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- In a large bowl, combine the blueberries, sugar, tapioca, lemon zest, cinnamon and nutmeg. Let stand for 15 minutes. Pour into a greased 11×7-in. baking dish.
- In a small bowl, beat 1/4 cup butter and confectioners’ sugar. Add egg; beat well. Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating just until combined. Pour over berry mixture.
- Bake at 375° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, melt remaining butter over low heat. Remove from the heat; stir in the syrup. Brush over cornbread. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat until bubbly, 1-2 minutes. Serve warm.
SOURCE: Taste of Home