The two brothers who Jussie Smollett allegedly paid to attack him last year have decided once again to cooperate with prosecutors in the ongoing case against him, a day after backing out.
Abel and Ola Osundairo had agreed to cooperate with the special prosecution of Smollett as it proceeds.
They told police he paid them $3,500 to carry out a fake, homophobic attack on him last January – something Smollett vehemently denies.
On Wednesday, Abel said they had changed their minds because the police department was still treating them as suspects.
On Thursday, their lawyer told CBS that they were once again willing to cooperate because Dan Webb, the special prosecutor, had intervened.
It is believed they were arguing with the cops over the whereabouts of a gun that was confiscated when police raided their home last year.
‘It’s been over a year and they need to give us our stuff back,’ Abel Osundairo complained to CBS 2 on Wednesday. ‘I would understand if we were defendants in the case, which we are not.’
During a police raid, cops took a number of possessions belonging to Abel, who said that the bulk of the items he can’t get back belong to his loved ones.
‘Most of the stuff isn’t even mine,’ Abel said. ‘They belong to my oldest brother, my mother, my sister. They even took my dog’s toy.’
But he’s also concerned about his firearm.
The authorities are in possession of his 9mm gun and ammunition inside a safe.
‘Legally it belongs to me, and I want to know its whereabouts,’ he continued.
His attorney, Schmidt Rodriguez, has filed a court motion with a judge for the items to be returned.
Abel also filed a police report on Wednesday as part of the administrative dispute.
Police told CBS 2 that the weapon is still in the chain of evidence and they will comply with the order if appropriate.
‘Of course I’m skeptical, because you are saying one thing one day and another thing another day,’ Abel Osundairo said. ‘It’s just another thing we have to go through.’
Police added they will cooperate with a judge’s order to turn over or produce evidence if appropriate, with the Chicago PD telling CBS 2 that the handgun is being preserved as evidence in an evidence locker.
Earlier this month, a Cook County judge shot down actor Smollett’s attempt have criminal charges against him dropped, telling the actor that the new charges against him do not violate his right against double jeopardy.
Smollett’s attorneys made the double jeopardy argument after a special prosecutor secured a six-count indictment on charges alleging that he lied to police about a racist and anti-gay attack that police say he staged himself.
The saga began on January 30 last year when it emerged that Smollett claimed he had been the victim of a racist, anti-gay attack.
Click here to read more.
SOURCE: Daily Mail, Jennifer Smith