Total Time: Prep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes: 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 package (14 ounces) smoked turkey sausage, sliced
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/4 cups uncooked converted rice
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Hot pepper sauce, optional
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add celery, onion and green pepper; cook and stir until crisp-tender, 3-4 minutes. Add sausage; cook until browned, 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in broth, beans, rice, tomato paste, bay leaf, Cajun seasoning and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaf. If desired, serve with pepper sauce.
SOURCE: Taste of Home