Total Time: Prep: 30 min. Canning: 20 min./batch
Makes: 8 pint jars
- 1 gallon water
- 1 teaspoon ascorbic acid powder
- 5 pounds nectarines, halved, pitted and sliced into 1-inch slices
- 2 cups water
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- Combine ascorbic acid powder and water until dissolved; place nectarines in liquid immediately after cutting each one. In a Dutch oven, combine water, sugar and honey. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Drain nectarine and add to the canning syrup; return just to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into 8 hot wide-mouth 1-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and, if necessary, adjust headspace by adding hot cooking liquid. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 20 minutes. Remove jars and cool.
SOURCE: Taste of Home