LA McDonald’s Employees Walkout Over Lack of Coronavirus Protection After Worker Tests Positive

MCDONALD’S workers walked out in protest Sunday after learning that a female co-worker tested positive for coronavirus.

Employees at the restaurant in Los Angeles staged a strike and demanded more safety equipment after hearing about positive diagnosis earlier this week.

“We don’t yet know exactly who tested positive,” Bartolome Perez, a 30-year cook at McDonald’s, told Fox 11.

“One of our other co-workers let people know that a female worker had tested positive for the virus Monday or Tuesday.”

Workers are demanding the company provide protective equipment such as masks to help keep workers safe during the pandemic.

More than 9,600 people have died in the US as of Monday, while 337,600 have been infected.

Employees have pleaded with McDonald’s to send more gear for more than a month, Perez said.

They’re also curious as to why the fast food chain didn’t tell them about their sick colleague.

“We’ve been pleading for protective equipment for more than a month now, but McDonald’s is putting profits ahead of our health,” he told the news station.

“We don’t want to die for McDonald’s burgers and fries.”

Following the news of their co-worker’s diagnosis, employees are demanding a two-week quarantine with full pay.

They also want McDonald’s to shoulder healthcare costs for any worker or worker’s family members who test positive.

The fast food giant hasn’t provided testing for the other workers who came in contact with the sick woman, Perez claimed.

Employees are in the process of filing a formal complaint with California‘s Occupational Safety and Health Administration because of the infected co-worker and lack of protective gear.

Click here to read more.

SOURCE: The Sun, Erica Davies