Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- 1 medium or large onion
- 4 cloves garlic (can sub 1 tsp. garlic powder)
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional for some heat)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) chickpeas or garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large sweet potato, cubed
- 1 can light coconut milk* or half a can of full-fat coconut milk diluted with half a can of water
- 2 cups spinach, tightly packed
- Optional: 1 cup quinoa or brown rice, cooked according to package directions
- Optional: sour cream for topping
In a medium or large pot, sauté onion and garlic in cooking oil for 4-5 minutes over medium heat.
Once onion is soft and translucent, add diced tomatoes and spices: curry powder, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and salt. Then, add chickpeas, sweet potato cubes, and coconut milk.
Cover pot and turn heat to high to bring liquid to a boil. Then, reduce heat to medium-low and lightly simmer uncovered for 35-40 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are soft.
While stew is cooking, prepare quinoa or rice, if using.
When sweet potatoes are soft, run a potato masher through the stew and mash just a bit to thicken it up. Add chopped spinach and wait a few minutes for spinach to wilt. Top with sour cream, if desired, and enjoy!
SOURCE: Healthy Liv