Total Time: Prep: 55 min. Bake: 30 min. + standing
Makes: 10 servings
- 5 cups peeled butternut squash, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 32 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
- 3/4 pound bulk hot Italian sausage
- 2 cups finely chopped sweet onion, divided
- 1 package (5 ounces) baby kale salad blend, chopped
- 8 ounces crumbled goat cheese, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carton (26.46 ounces) chopped tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup fat-free half-and-half
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a foil-lined baking sheet, toss squash with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Roast squash, stirring halfway through, until tender and starting to caramelize, 40 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl; roughly mash. Reduce heat to 350°.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, cook sausage and 1 cup onion, crumbling meat, until no longer pink. Add baby kale; cook until kale is tender, 3-5 minutes. Mix with squash. Stir in 4 ounces goat cheese.
- In same skillet, heat remaining olive oil. Add remaining onion; cook until softened, 3-5 minutes. Add garlic; cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Add tomatoes, sage and sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened, about 15 minutes. Cool about 5 minutes. Pulse in a blender until combined. Add half-and-half; pulse until smooth. Pour about half of sauce in a greased 13×9-in. baking dish.
- Stuff each shell with about 2 tablespoons squash mixture; arrange in the baking dish. Pour remaining tomato sauce over shells; top with remaining goat cheese. Bake, covered, until beginning to bubble, 20 minutes. Remove cover; bake another 10 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
SOURCE: Taste of Home