Total Time: Prep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 1 hour
Makes: 9 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 6 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh dill or 3/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-herb seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2 cups day-old cubed bread
- 8 ounces smoked salmon fillets, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Minced fresh chives and dill
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add russet potato; cook 3 minutes. Add sweet potato, red pepper and onion; cook 4-6 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, 4-6 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, cream, green onion, dill, mustard, lemon-herb seasoning and pepper until blended. In a greased 8-in. square baking dish, layer potato mixture, bread and salmon; dot with cream cheese. Pour egg mixture over top. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove casserole from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, 60-70 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with chives and dill.
SOURCE: Taste of Home