Former Christian Post Editor Napp Nazworth Says He Had ‘No Other Choice’ But to Resign After Publication of Pro-Trump Editorial

A former editor for The Christian Post said Thursday he had “no other choice” but to resign from his job after the Christian news website issued a strong editorial supporting President Donald Trump.

“When I was told this would be the position of the paper, of the news site, I said that’s not something I can support,” Napp Nazworth, who announced on Monday that he had resigned from The Christian Post, told CNN’s Alisyn Camerota on “New Day.”

Nazworth’s resignation came amid a heated debate among evangelicals about Trump, who enjoys overwhelming support from the community despite his controversial public behavior and comments.

The controversy began last week, when a rival publication, Christianity Today, published an op-ed that called Trump morally unfit for office and called for his removal. In response, The Christian Post denounced the article, insisting that Trump’s support among evangelicals remains strong and slamming the impeachment process — arguing that a “government of elites” has compromised constitutional due process.

“We’ve never sounded like that before. That’s not the types of positions we take in the past,” Nazworth told CNN on Thursday, adding that his former employer’s position on impeachment sounds like “some odd sort of conspiratorial thinking.”

He also likened the Christian news website to the far-right website Breitbart, which is supportive of the President and his policies.

Nazworth brought up how the editors had all worked together previously on an anti-Trump editorial in 2016 with the headline “Donald Trump is a scam.”

Click here to read more.

SOURCE: CNN, Veronica Stracqualursi