Total Time: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 3-1/2 hours + standing
Makes: 16 servings (2 cups gravy)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1 medium orange, quartered
- 1 medium lemon, quartered
- 3 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 3 fresh sage sprigs
- 3 cups chicken broth, divided
- 3 to 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- Preheat oven to 325°. Mix butter and Italian seasoning.
- Place turkey on a rack in a roasting pan, breast side up; pat dry. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from turkey breast; rub half of the butter mixture under the skin. Secure skin to underside of breast with toothpicks. Rub cavity with salt and pepper; fill with onion, orange, lemon and herbs. Tuck wings under turkey; tie drumsticks together.
- Melt remaining butter mixture; brush over outside of turkey. Add 2 cups broth to roasting pan.
- Roast, uncovered, until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°, 3-1/2-4 hours, basting occasionally with pan drippings. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.)
- Remove turkey from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 20 minutes before carving.
- Pour pan drippings into a small saucepan; skim fat. Mix flour, remaining broth and, if desired, browning sauce until smooth; whisk into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Serve with turkey.
SOURCE: Taste of Home