Total Time: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min.
Makes: 4 servings
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 small green pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 12 ounces uncooked shell-on shrimp (31-40 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Place eggplant in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until tender, 3-4 minutes. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In an ovenproof skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add celery, onion and green pepper; saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; stir in tomatoes and eggplant. Saute 5 minutes. Stir in seasonings. Add shrimp and bread crumbs; saute 5 minutes longer, stirring well.
- Bake 30 minutes. Remove skillet from oven; top with cheese. Bake 5 minutes more.
SOURCE: Taste of Home