A trio of contemporary Christian artists lead nominations for the genre at the 2020 Grammy Awards.
Australian duo for KING & COUNTRY, gospel mainstay Kirk Franklin and Christian pop singer Danny Gokey score two nominations each to the upcoming ceremony, the Recording Academy said Wednesday.
For KING & COUNTRY and Gokey compete in Best Contemporary Christian Music Performance/Song — the former for Dolly Parton collaboration “God Only Knows,” the later for “Haven’t Seen It Yet, and Best Contemporary Christian Music Album, for “Burn The Ships” and “Haven’t Seen it Yet,” respectively.
Earlier this year, for KING & COUNTRY’s “God Only Knows” earned the Dove Awards for Pop/Contemporary Recorded Song of the Year. The song comes off “Burn The Ships,” which the group created by “saying every single song needs to have the heartbeat of a personal story.”
Joel Smallbone, who alongside his brother Luke Smallbone makes up for KING & COUNTRY, said: “It kind-of proves this idea that if you share your hearts with people, it’s a vulnerable task and it’s a risk. And sometimes it doesn’t always work out this way and sometimes people stomp on us.
“But there are those other times where you put your heart out there and people come back and say, ‘I know you because I am you.’”
Gokey earned his second and third career nominations Wednesday; for KING & COUNTRY, a two-time Grammy winner, earned its fifth and sixth.
Franklin, a 14-time Grammy winner, landed nods in Best Gospel Performance/Song (for “Love Theory”) and Best Gospel Album (for “Long Live Love”).
Best Gospel Performance/Song
- Kirk Franklin – “Love Theory” (Songwriter: Kirk Franklin)
- Gloria Gaynor featuring Yolanda Adams – “Talkin’ ‘Bout Jesus” (Songwriters: Bryan Fowler, Gloria Gaynor & Chris Stevens)
- Travis Greene featuring Jekalyn Carr – “See The Light”
- Koryn Hawthorne featuring Natalie Grant – “Speak The Name”
- Tasha Cobbs Leonard – “This Is A Move (live)” (Songwriters: Tony Brown, Brandon Lake, Tasha Cobbs Leonard & Nate Moore)
Best Contemporary Christian Music Performance/Song
- Casting Crowns – “Only Jesus” (Songwriters: Mark Hall, Bernie Herms & Matthew West)
- for KING & COUNTRY and Dolly Parton – “God Only Knows” (Songwriters: Josh Kerr, Jordan Reynolds, Joel Smallbone, Luke Smallbone & Tedd Tjornhom)
- Danny Gokey – “Haven’t Seen It Yet” (Songwriters: Danny Gokey, Ethan Hulse & Colby Wedgeworth)
- Tauren Wells – “God’s Not Done With You”
- Zach Williams – “Rescue Story” (Songwriters: Ethan Hulse, Andrew Ripp, Jonathan Smith & Zach Williams)
Best Gospel Album
- Kirk Franklin – “Long Live Love”
- Donald Lawrence presents The Tri-City Singers – “Goshen”
- Gene Moore – “Tunnel Vision”
- William Murphy – “Settle Here”
- CeCe Winans – “Something’s Happening! A Christmas Album”
Best Contemporary Christian Music Album
- Crowder – “I Know A Ghost”
- for KING & COUNTRY – “Burn The Ships”
- Danny Gokey – “Haven’t Seen It Yet”
- TobyMac – “The Elements”
- Chris Tomlin – “Holy Roar”
Best Roots Gospel Album
- Steven Curtis Chapman – “Deeper Roots: Where The Bluegrass Goes”
- Gloria Gaynor – “Testimony”
- Joseph Habedank – “Deeper Oceans”
- Tim Menzies – “His Name Is Jesus”
- Various artists – “Gonna Sing, Gonna Shout”