Representatives of London’s faith community have condemned the terrorist attack at London Bridge on Friday in which two people were killed and several others were injured by a man wielding a knife.
The attacker, 28-year-old Usman Khan, was wrestled to the ground by bystanders while another man disarmed him of his long knife, video footage shows.
Khan, who was also wearing a device strapped to his body, was shot dead by armed officers. The Metropolitan Police later said the device was a “hoax explosive device.”
“A male suspect was shot by specialist armed officers from City of London Police and I can confirm that this suspect died at the scene,” said Assistant Commissioner for Specialist Operations Neil Basu in a statement.
“A number of other people received injuries during the incident and as soon as we can provide further updates on their condition, we will. Our heartfelt sympathies go out to those anxiously awaiting news from loved ones.”
Khan was previously convicted and jailed for terrorism offences in 2012 for his role in the 2010 Stock Exchange plot that was inspired by al-Qaida, the Metropolitan Police said.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson said today’s terrorist attack was an “appalling” incident.
“I want to thank the emergency services and members of the public for their immense bravery in responding to this suspected terrorist attack at London Bridge,” he said.
“This is an appalling incident and all my thoughts are with the victims and their families.”
London Mayor Sadiq Khan also thanked the “brave” emergency services and members of the public who risked their own safety to disarm Khan.
Click here to read more.
SOURCE: The Christian Post, Christian Today