Authorities have closed an investigation into allegations that Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church mishandled millions of dollars in donations given to them after nine of their members were killed in a mass shooting, clearing the church of wrongdoing.
The South Carolina Law Enforcement Division recently opened an investigation into claims by a former employee that Emanuel AME was mishandling donations given to the church following the 2015 mass shooting by white supremacist Dylann Roof.
Tommy Crosby, spokesman for the state Law Enforcement Division, told CNN in a story published Monday that investigators “completed their review” and found “no evidence” of financial misconduct.
Emanuel AME Pastor Eric Manning stated that his church “has always handled donations in a way that they were intended” and thanked “SLED for their attention to this issue.”
“I am prayerful that this will continue to aid in the healing process by all who were directly and indirectly impacted by the horrific event of June 17, 2015,” he told CNN.
Last month, The Post and Courier reported that SLED had opened an investigation into allegations that the church was mishandling donations made since the 2015 massacre.
Althea Latham, a former secretary for the church who was let go two months after the massacre, claimed that she was fired when she questioned how the donations were being used.
Click here to read more.
SOURCE: Christian Post, Michael Gryboski