Total Time: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 7 hrs.
Makes: 12 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless beef short ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 small carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 pound pappardelle
- Parmesan cheese, grated or shaved, optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown meat in batches. Transfer meat to a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker. Add mushrooms, onion, carrots and bay leaves.
- In the same skillet, add tomato paste, wine, garlic and seasonings. Cook and stir over medium heat until fragrant and slightly darkened, 2-4 minutes. Stir in diced tomatoes until blended. Transfer mixture to slow cooker; cover. Cook on low until beef is tender, 7-9 hours. Discard bay leaves.
- Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente. Serve ragu over pasta. If desired, serve with Parmesan cheese.
SOURCE: Taste of Home