Welcome to The Reasons to Believe podcast, episode #147. My name is Daniel Whyte III, president of Gospel Light Society International.
Our Reasons to Believe Scripture Passage for today is Acts 18:27-28. It reads, “And when [Apollos] was disposed to pass into Achaia, the brethren wrote, exhorting the disciples to receive him: who, when he was come, helped them much which had believed through grace: For he mightily convinced the Jews, and that publicly, shewing by the scriptures that Jesus was Christ.”
Our Reasons to Believe quote for today is from C.S. Lewis. He said, “A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said wouldn’t be a great moral teacher. He’d be either a lunatic on a level with a man who says he’s a poached egg or else he’d be the devil of hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse.”
Our Reason to Believe powerpoint today is titled “The Divinity of Christ, Part 28” from “The Handbook of Christian Apologetics” by Peter Kreeft and Ronald K. Tacelli.
The authors continue with the fourth part of their conclusion to this chapter subtitled, “Some Scriptural Data For Christ’s Claim to Divinity.”
- The early creedal formula “Jesus is Lord [kyrios]”: 1 Cor 12:3; Phil 2:11.
- The title “Son of God” (“Son of” implies “of the same nature as.”): Mt 11:27; Mark 12:6; 13:32; 14:61-62; Luke 10:22; 22:70; John 10:30; 14:9.
- The New Testament calls him “God”: Titus 2:13; 1 John 5:20; Romans 9:5; John 1:1.
- Absolutely, universally supreme: Col 1:15-20.
- Eternally preexistent: John 1:1; Phil 2:6; Hebrews 13:8; Rev 22:13.
- Omnipresent: Mt 18:20; 28:20.
- Omnipotent: Mt 28:18; Heb 1:3; Rev 1:8.
- Immutable: Heb 1:11-12; 13:8.
- Creates (only God can create): Col 1:16-17; John 1:3; 1 Cor 8:6; Heb 1:10.
- Sinless, perfect: Heb 7:26; John 8:46; 2 Cor 5:21/
- Has authority to forgive sins: Mark 2:5-12; Luke 24:45-47; Acts 10:43; 1 John 1:5-9.
- Rightly worshiped: Mt 2:11; 14:33; 28:9; Jn 20:28; Heb 1:5-9.
- Speaks the unique, forbidden divine name: John 8:58.
- Called “King of kings and Lord of lords”: 1 Tim 6:15; Rev 17:14.
- One with the Father: John 10:30; 12:45; 14:8-10.
- Performs miracles: John 10:37-38: and throughout all four Gospels.
- Sends the Holy Spirit: John 14:25-26; 16:7-15.
- The Father testifies to him: Mt 3:17; 17:5; John 8:18; 1 John 5:9.
- Gives eternal life: John 3:16; 5:39-40; 20:30-31.
- Foreknows the future: Mark 8:31; Luke 9:21-22; 12:49-53; 22:35-37; 24:1-7; John 3:11-14; 6:63-64; 13:1-11; 14:27-29; 18:1-4; 19:26-30.
- Is Lord over the law: Luke 6:1-5.
Lord willing, we will continue with the next topic in our next episode.
Now, if you are listening today, and you do not know the Lord Jesus Christ as your Saviour, allow me to show you how.
First, accept the fact that you are a sinner, and that you have broken God’s law. The Bible says in Romans 3:23: “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”
Second, accept the fact that there is a penalty for sin. The Bible states in Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death…”
Third, accept the fact that you are on the road to hell. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:28: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” Also, the Bible states in Revelation 21:8: “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
Now this is bad news, but here’s the good news. Jesus Christ said in John 3:16: “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” Just believe in your heart that Jesus Christ died for your sins, was buried, and rose from the dead by the power of God for you so that you can live eternally with Him. Pray and ask Him to come into your heart today, and He will.
Romans 10:9-13 says, “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed. For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Until next time, my friend, please keep in mind these reasons to believe. God bless!