Total Time: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min.
Makes: 6 servings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups peeled cubed potatoes
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For crust, in a small bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut butter in flour until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add the water, mixing gently with a fork. Gather into a ball. Cover and chill at least 30 minutes.
- For filling, place broth in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil over high heat. Add vegetables. Reduce heat; simmer until vegetables are tender, 10-15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and milk; stir into broth mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until slightly thickened and bubbly. Stir in cheese, chicken, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Heat until cheese melts. Spoon into a 10-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough for crust to fit top of casserole, trimming edges as necessary. Place on casserole over filling; seal edges. Make several slits in center of crust for steam to escape.
- Bake at 425° until golden brown, about 40 minutes.
SOURCE: Taste of Home