LISTEN: Weight Loss Using Old-Fashioned Foods (Overcoming the Acceptable Christian Sin of Gluttony #22 with Daniel Whyte III)

Welcome to the Overcoming the Acceptable Christian Sin of Gluttony podcast, a companion podcast to the Acceptable Christian Sin of Gluttony message series. My name is Daniel Whyte III president of Gospel Light Society International. The purpose of this podcast is to share with you, from a biblical perspective, the means by which we can combat and overcome the sin of gluttony and its outcome of obesity.

Our passage from the Word of God today is Proverbs 23:1-3 which reads: “When thou sittest to eat with a ruler, consider diligently what is before thee: And put a knife to thy throat, if thou be a man given to appetite. Be not desirous of his dainties: for they are deceitful meat.”

Now, let’s look at gluttony and its effects in the news: According to the World Health Organization, An estimated 820 million people did not have enough to eat in 2018, up from 811 million in the previous year, which is the third year of increase in a row. At the same time, adding to these challenges, overweight and obesity continue to increase in all regions, particularly among school-age children and adults. Despite the challenges of hunger in these regions, In addition to the challenges of stunting and wasting, Asia and Africa are also home to nearly three-quarters of all overweight children worldwide, largely driven by consumption of unhealthy diets.

In this podcast, we are going through the book, The RAVE Diet and Lifestyle: The Natural Foods Diet With Meals that Heal, by Mike Anderson. This section is titled: Weight Loss Using Old-Fashioned Foods:

Remember the hare and tortoise story? The tortoise always wins when it comes to losing weight. The RAVE Diet will accommodate lapses in eating because it requires that you change your attitude about eating. Once your attitude has changed, you may fall off the horse occasionally, but you’ll have the knowledge and confidence to know you’ll get back on it and ride again.

The RAVE Diet is really a throwback to the old-fashioned diets our ancestors ate. Before the early 1800’s, modern refined foods were not readily available, yet today, refined foods occupy over 50 percent of our calories. Eating animal foods, including dairy products, was a very occasional event due to a lack of availability (no refrigeration and high cost). Today, animal foods constitute a whopping 40 percent of our total calories. Taken together, over 90 percent of the calories we consume today are from foods that were either non-existent back then or were eaten only on special occasions.

Today, only seven percent of our calories come from natural, whole plant foods, yet these were the foods where the bulk of our ancestors calories came from, in the form of whole grain breads, potatoes, brown rice, corn, oats, rye, barley meals, beans and other vegetables, fruits and whole grains.


Now, in this series, as we focus on  overcoming the sin of gluttony, and managing our bodies as God intended, we must not lose sight of the most important part of our existence — our spiritual life. Even those of you who are fit, who eat right, and who exercise regularly must still address the condition of your soul. You may keep your body in perfect condition till the day you die, but you will still die — we all will, and the only thing that will matter is the condition of your soul. Is your soul in shape? Is your soul in right standing with God?

The only way to make sure of that is to trust Jesus Christ as your Savior from sin and the consequences of sin. He alone can save your soul, put you in right standing with God, and ensure that you do not perish in Hell. Now, if you do not know Jesus Christ as your Savior, believe in your heart that Jesus died for your sins, was buried, and rose from the dead by the power of God for you so that you can live eternally with Him. Pray and ask Him to come into your heart today, and He will.

Romans 10:9 & 13 says, “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved… For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”

Until next time, may God bless you and keep you is my prayer.

When you purchase a book below it supports the Number #1 Black Christian Newspaper BLACK CHRISTIAN NEWS NETWORK ONE ( and it also allows us to spread the Gospel around the world.