She is an American singer, songwriter, actress, and record producer. In 2004, she participated on America’s Most Talented Kids and won, beating out musician Hunter Hayes. She first gained national recognition after posting videos of herself singing on YouTube as a teenager, and after appearing as a semi-finalist on the ninth season of American Idol in 2010. After signing with Capitol Records in 2013, her debut studio album Unbreakable Smile, released in 2015, peaked at number two on the Billboard 200 chart in the United States with its lead single, “Nobody Love”, marking her first appearance on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. She was subsequently nominated for Best New Artist at the 58th Grammy Awards, and voiced Meena in the animated film Sing. Her second studio album Hiding Place, released in 2018, peaked at number 35 on the Billboard 200 chart and garnered her two Grammy Awards, for Best Gospel Album and Best Gospel Performance/Song respectively. Though her career is still on the rise, she is already also winner of a BET Award, Billboard Music Award, Billboard Women in Music Award, Glamour Award, and GMA Dove Award among others.
People know her as a famous pop star, but first and foremost, she is a proud Christian who makes it a point of importance to share her testimony with the public. In an interview with Life.Church’s youth ministry, she opened up about her faith in Christ, saying: “My faith is everything to me. Music has always been a part of me and my faith has always been a part of me. So, for me, it’s been that daily, ‘Okay let me remind myself again that Jesus is number one. Let me remind myself again what all of this is for. There’s that conviction. Certain opportunities will come up and I’ll just have to say no.” Whether she’s at home or on the road performing, she strives to read the Bible and pray every day. “Even though [God] knows everything. He still wants to hear from us and He cares,” she said, adding that her faith allows her to stay humble in an industry that constantly glorifies man. “In my line of work, it’s kind of built up to be about me…which is scary. It’s terrifying. That’s the biggest challenge. I can’t rely on these accomplishments, these goals, and these dreams, which are great and good things…but even good things can be idols.”
During another recent interview at the Rock Church in San Diego, she said that looking back, she can see God’s hand guiding her life — especially after being rejected from American Idol when she was 16 years old. “Through all of that, I came out so much stronger, because I had to experience that and I really felt that, now looking back, I can see God’s hand and being like, ‘No, no, no, you’re going to learn this from this…and then I’m shaping you to be who I want you to be,'” she shared. When she learned to surrender everything to God, that’s when God powerfully moved in her life. Doors of opportunities started to open. She also shared the powerful Bible verse that has been a “theme” throughout her life: Paul’s words in Philippians 3:7-9, which read: “But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ.” “I want to be like Paul and be able to say, all these things that I’ve been able to do, any earthly thing, amazing things, and they are blessings, I’m so thankful that I get to do what I do, but if all of that went away and disappeared I would still have Jesus,” she said. “He’s the one, the one thing that I get to have that nobody can take away.”
Her name is Tori Kelly.
This is the “Chief of Sinners,” Daniel Whyte III, president of Gospel Light Society International, reminding you of what the Bible says, that “Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners” like you and me. Just as Tori Kelly trusts Jesus Christ as her Saviour, may I encourage you to do the same. Here is how:
- Accept the fact that you are a sinner, and that you have broken God’s law. The Bible says in Ecclesiastes 7:20: “For there is not a just man upon earth that doeth good, and sinneth not.” Romans 3:23 reads: “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.” In fact, I am the chief of sinners, so don’t think that you’re alone.
- Accept the fact that there is a penalty for sin. The Bible states in Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death…”
- Accept the fact that you are on the road to hell. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:28: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” The Bible says in Revelation 21:8: “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
- Accept the fact that you cannot do anything to save yourself! The Bible states in Ephesians 2: 8, 9: “For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is a gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast.”
- Accept the fact that God loves you more than you love yourself, and that He wants to save you from hell. Jesus Christ said in John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
- With these facts in mind, please repent of your sins, believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and pray and ask Him to come into your heart and save you this very moment. The Bible states in the book of Romans 10:9, 13: “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”
“For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Dear friend, if you are willing to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation, please pray with me this simple prayer: Heavenly Father, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
If you believed in your heart that Jesus Christ died on the cross, was buried, and rose again, allow me to say, congratulations on doing the most important thing in life and that is accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour! For more information to help you grow in your newfound faith in Christ, go to Gospel Light Society.com and read “What To Do After You Enter Through the Door”. Jesus Christ said in John 10:9, “I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”
Remember, friend, Believe by faith. Share the faith. and Keep the faith!