“Do The Right Thing”
by Bobby E. Mills, PhD
Only time will tell, because invariably elections have consequences. What America needs now is love, love, and more love as expressed in the Two Great Commandments: “Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.” (Mark 12:29-31). The concept of neighbor is about a universal humanity mindset; not about geography, nation-statehood, racial/ethnic identity, and fences and walls. No doubt about it, America has spiritually seen, witnessed and physically experienced the devastating consequences of the 2016 Presidential election. The Party of White-Privilege (GOP) was fearful of losing its demonic control over governmental processes and resources, and out of fearful reaction, overacted. Now, we have been experiencing a horrible nightmare grounded in lies, lies, and damn LIES in The White House that seemingly is unending. To the dismay of Christ-like-Christians so-called Christian Right Evangelicals have amen the unrighteousness emanating from The White House. Of course, from politicians rather than statesmen unrighteousness is the order of the day; because the mother’s milk of politics is money, not integrity. However, “If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.” (2 Chronicles 7:14).
America, know this; democratic elections are about the future and national unity of purpose. Thus, the future is our children as well as future generations of Americans. What the world needs now is peace, peace and more peace! Because: “Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.” (Matthew 5:9). The past was imperfect, and therefore, it belongs to the devil. But, we should always remember our past in order to not repeat the mistakes of the past. If America can do the right thing, America should do the right thing, because a democratic society requires:
- A legislative body that works for all Americans regardless of race, creed, religion, political party identification, sex-status or sexual orientation.
- Moral-spiritual-visionary Presidential leadership, because without a vision the people spiritually-morally-perish. Moreover, it is spiritually written: “Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he.” (Proverbs 29:18).
- Religious leaders that can spiritually unify Americans in God-like-character, not in devilish destructive mindsets, and societally destructive behaviors.
- A culture that honors family as designed by God; since God is the designer of family, not the U. S. Supreme Court. Moreover, the foundation of every society is the two-parent-nuclear-family-structure (male/female) as designed by God.
- A culture that honors individual freedom of godly-choice (s). The Preamble to the U. S. Constitution embraces this spiritual declaration; therefore, says it all! Hence, every individual that seeks to immigrate to American society must understand that failure is individual responsibility, not collective responsibility. The Preamble to the U. S. Constitution and the Constitution itself are almost perfect spiritual documents. Yet, these documents recognize that morality cannot be legislated; even though negative behaviors have negative consequences both according to God’s laws as well as manmade laws of society. For Christian Americans know: “And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:” (Hebrews 9:27). Because: “God judgeth the righteous, and God is angry with the wicked every day.” (Psalms 7:11). Hence, Christians know that there defense is in God, because: “Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.” (Proverbs 30:5).
Greed, envy and jealousy are spiritual problems, and of course, they will always exist until the second coming of Jesus Christ, The Righteous One. Thus, the question is how do democratic nations minimize the negative devastating societal effects of these spiritual problems; especially upon national conscience and societal unity. America electing a worldly, materialistic, ungodly male as President only exacerbated the spiritual problem of national unity. Hence, before a democratic nation state such as America, decides to build a physical wall a spiritual and mental wall already exists in the minds and hearts (spiritual conscience) of some individuals.
Life is about priorities that is where individuals place their hope, trust, dreams and spiritual aspirations. Priorities dictate value choices, and choices have moral consequences. Above all, values dictate relationships, social processes, and institutional structures. It is more desirable to do what is right than to correct a wrong. This is why Democracy as a governing philosophy is grounded in spiritual notions about universal human rights and individual human dignity, and this is why the Preamble begins with these sacred GODLY MORAL TRUTHS: “That all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness…” President Trump in his demonic misguided notions about America, believes that Might Make Right, and this is why he loves military dictatorships. But, we all know, that President Trump will send your sons and daughters into war, but he did not go (Bone Spurs)! Of course, most U. S. Presidents knew how to: “walk softly and carry a BIG stick”.
It appears to be the case in America that Black lives do not matter. But, God has forever declared that all lives matter, because: “Thou art worthy, O’Lord, to receive glory and honor and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.” (Revelation 4:11). President Trump’s spiritually misguided notions of militarism as salvation rather than as a physical deterrent to war is the reason for his vulgar militaristic display of physical-military might on the 4th of July. America, know this: “By grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: not works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ordained that we should walk in them.” (Ephesians 2:8-10). Take heed; America, especially Christian Right Evangelicals: “Righteousness exalteth a nation:but sin is a reproach to any people.” (Proverbs 14:34).
Dr. Bobby E. Mills received his Bachelors of Divinity degree from Colgate-Rochester Crozer Divinity School in Rochester, New York, and his PhD in sociology from Syracuse University. He is a retired college professor and is the author of several books, including: Lost Nation and Sermons for Christ-like (Christian) Living.