Canadian Woman Who Fell Critically Ill After Trip to Dominican Republic Says There Was ‘Strong’ Chemical Odor in Her Hotel Room

A Canadian woman who stayed at a Bahia Principe resort in the Dominican Republic in 2016 alleges that she fell critically ill after being exposed to a strong chemical odor in her room, and that she has battled multiple health problems ever since.

Tina Hammell told CNN in an interview that the smell in her room at the Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana resort woke her and her husband from a nap.

“It was so strong that I was burning and coughing, and it was very upsetting,” she told CNN, adding that she was moved to another room, which made no difference.

Hammell said that her symptoms quickly worsened, sending her into convulsions.

“I remember my muscles, my hands all turned in and my legs came up, I just was spasming and I lost consciousness,” Hammell said.

Hammell is one of several people who have come forward to tell reporters about having fallen ill — sometimes requiring hospitalization — while at a resort in the Dominican Republic.

Many said they were prompted to tell their stories after reading about a rash of U.S. tourist deaths on the island — which Dominican authorities attribute to natural causes.

The State Department has confirmed the deaths of nearly a dozen U.S. citizens whose families brought the cases to light and voiced doubts about Dominican authorities’ insistence on citing natural causes. All but one visitor died in the last 18 months.

Three deaths in May, and one last year, occurred at resorts owned by Bahia Principe. All four U.S. tourists died in their rooms after suddenly falling critically ill. Two of the tourists were said to have died shortly after consuming a beverage from the room minibar. A Maryland couple who died May 30 were found dead by a hotel employee who went to their room after they’d failed to check out.

Meanwhile, a Colorado couple has filed a lawsuit against the resort company, which is based in Spain, alleging that they fell ill because of pesticides while staying at one of its hotels last year. Their description of a strong smell in their room and the onset of illness bears similarities to what Hammell claims to have experienced.

Click here to read more.

SOURCE: Fox News, Elizabeth Llorente

When you purchase a book below it supports the Number #1 Black Christian Newspaper BLACK CHRISTIAN NEWS NETWORK ONE ( and it also allows us to spread the Gospel around the world.