- Judge Leroy Martin Jr. stepped away from the case because of the potential conflict of interest on Friday
- His son, Leroy III, is a prosecutor in juvenile court but works beneath Foxx
- Sheila O’Brien, who is demanding a special prosecutor look into Foxx’s conduct, said it amounted to a conflict last week
- Foxx said it didn’t and wanted the case to push on with him overseeing it
- She has been widely criticized for dropping the 16 felony charges against Smollett in exchange for him paying $10,000 and doing 16 hours of community service
Judge Leroy Martin Jr. decided on Friday to step back from the case after a week of reviewing his options. His son, Leroy III, is an assistant state’s attorney and works in juvenile court. He has held the position since April last year. ‘I am not unmindful that the appearance of justice is important. I think it is prudent and wise that I transfer the matter,’ he said.
Click here to read more.
SOURCE: Daily Mail