Active Time: 30 Mins
Total Time: 40 Mins
Yield: Serves 4 (serving size: 5 meatballs, 1/2 cup rice, 1/4 cup sauce)
- 2 pounds ground chuck
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk Greek yogurt (about 12 oz.)
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded, and grated (about 1/2 cup)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest plus 1 Tbsp. fresh juice
- 2 cups cooked basmati rice
How to Make It
Preheat broiler with oven rack 6 inches from heat. Place ground chuck, feta cheese, oregano, parsley, crushed red pepper, egg, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper in large bowl, and gently combine.
Shape mixture into 32 meatballs, and place on a large aluminum foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Broil until meatballs are no longer pink in centers, 8 to 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, stir together yogurt, cucumber, mint, dill, lemon zest, lemon juice, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a bowl.
Reserve 12 meatballs and 1 cup cucumber-yogurt sauce for stuffed pitas (see below). Serve remaining meatballs and cucumber-yogurt sauce with hot cooked rice.
Reheat 12 meatballs; stuff 3 meatballs into each of 4 warm pita bread halves. Add lettuce, tomato, and red onion; top with 1 cup cucumber-yogurt sauce.
Click here to read more.
SOURCE: Southern Living