At least 207 people were killed and hundreds more injured after a series of blasts shook Sri Lanka on Easter Sunday.
A wave of near-simultaneous explosions rocked three churches and three luxury hotels, officials said, leaving nearly 500 people hospitalized from injuries.
Police later reported two further explosions.
The government declared an island-wide curfew and said it had shut down access to major social media sites and messaging services, including Facebook and WhatsApp, to prevent misinformation and rumors.
Defense Minister Ruwan Wijewardena said seven suspects had been arrested and that the death toll included at least 27 foreign nationals.
He described the attacks as a terrorist incident, and blamed religious extremists.
In a statement, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo condemned the attack and confirmed that several of those killed were Americans. Pompeo did not identify any of the Americans killed in the attack or specify how many Americans died.
“The U.S. Embassy is working tirelessly to provide all possible assistance to the American citizens affected by the attacks and their families,” Pompeo said.
The Sri Lankan Ministry of Foreign Affairs said that it had identified 11 foreign nationals who had died in the attack, with two of the victims holding passports from the United States and United Kingdom.
Twenty-five unidentified bodies were believed to be foreign nationals and nine foreign nationals were missing, the ministry said.
Police conducted a search operation on the outskirts of Colombo, where the latest of eight blasts took place. After police moved in, at least two more blasts occurred, with the occupants of a safehouse apparently blasting explosives to prevent arrest. Three officers were killed.
Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe said he feared the violence could trigger instability in the country and its economy.
He said his government would “vest all necessary powers with the defense forces” to take action against those responsible for the attacks, “regardless of their stature.”
A security official told The Associated Press that two of the blasts were suspected to have been carried out by suicide bombers. The official spoke on condition of anonymity as he was not authorized to speak with reporters.
There were no immediate claims of responsibility for the attacks.
The first blast ripped through St. Anthony’s Shrine in Colombo. The church and the three hotels in the country’s capital are frequented by foreign tourists.
A second explosion was reported at St. Sebastian’s Church in Negombo, a Catholic majority town north of Colombo.
More than 50 people were killed in that blast alone, a police official told Reuters, with pictures showing bodies on the ground, blood on the pews and a destroyed roof.
Father Edmond Tillekeratne, the social communications director of the Archdiocese of Colombo, was near St. Sebastian’s when the explosion happened.
“I was close by, so I ran there. I saw the aftermath with my own eyes,” he told NBC News.
“The rooftop is completely destroyed. The flesh of the people is on the walls and all over the place.”
The third church that was targeted is in the eastern town of Batticaloa.
Pope Francis denounced the “cruel violence” and said he is praying for all those who are suffering from the bloodshed.
Francis added an appeal at the end of his traditional Easter Sunday blessing to address the massacre.
Speaking from the loggia of St. Peter’s Basilica, Francis said: “I want to express my loving closeness to the Christian community, targeted while they were gathered in prayer, and all the victims of such cruel violence.”
He added: “I entrust to the Lord all those who were tragically killed and pray for the injured and all those who are suffering as a result of this dramatic event.”
The first three hotels hit were the Shangri-La Colombo, Kingsbury Hotel and Cinnamon Grand Colombo.
U.S. Ambassador to Sri Lanka Alaina Teplitz said she was “deeply saddened” by the attacks. “Our thoughts are with the victims and their families. We stand with Sri Lanka’s people at this terrible moment,” Teplitz said.
United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres said in a statement that he “hopes the perpetrators will be swiftly brought to justice” and “commends the leadership demonstrated by the authorities and unity of the people of Sri Lanka in the wake of the attacks.”
President Donald Trump tweeted his condolences and said the U.S. stands “ready to help!”
138 people have been killed in Sri Lanka, with more that 600 badly injured, in a terrorist attack on churches and hotels. The United States offers heartfelt condolences to the great people of Sri Lanka. We stand ready to help!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 21, 2019
Former President Barack Obama also shared his sympathies.
The attacks on tourists and Easter worshippers in Sri Lanka are an attack on humanity. On a day devoted to love, redemption, and renewal, we pray for the victims and stand with the people of Sri Lanka.
— Barack Obama (@BarackObama) April 21, 2019
Click here to read more.
SOURCE: NBC News, Yuliya Talmazan, Caroline Radnofsky, Reuters and Associated Press