Woman Dies After Food Poisoning Outbreak at Michelin-Starred Restaurant in Spain That Also Sickened 29 Other Diners

(FILE) – Two regional health officials (L) leave the Michelin-star restaurant Riff in Valencia, eastern Spain, 19 February 2019 (issued on 22 February 2019). Regional authorities informed that 29 restaurant’s clients were allegedly poisoned and one of them died last 17 February. EPA-EFE/Manuel Bruque

A Michelin-starred restaurant in the Spanish city of Valencia is at the center of a food poisoning outbreak that has killed one woman and affected 29 further diners.

The 46-year-old victim died after eating a meal at Riff in the Mediterranean coast city. Regional health authorities have also identified 29 more people that became ill after visiting the restaurant, according to a statement.

The woman, who has not been identified, died in her home early Sunday morning. Her husband and 12-year-old son also suffered food poisoning but are now in recovery, said authorities.

All of the 29 victims of the outbreak had eaten at Riff between February 13 and 16.

Food inspectors visited the restaurant on February 18 but did not find any explanation for what could have contributed to the outbreak, reads the statement from the public health department.

The inspectors took samples of food used in the tasting menu, which have been sent to Spain’s National Toxicology Institute for analysis.

CNN has attempted to contact the institute for comment.

Click here to read more.

SOURCE: CNN, Jack Guy