The actor, who stars in the US hit show ‘Empire’, was arrested and allegedly charged with lying to police in connection with the alleged incident on January 29. And now the 36-year-old has told the cast and employees of the show of his ordeal. According to TMZ, Mr Smollett told the set: “I’m sorry I’ve put you all through this and not answered any calls.
“I wanted to say ‘I’m sorry’ and, you know me, I would never do this to any of you, you are my family.
“I swear to God, I did not do this.”
Chicago Police allege Mr Smollett hoped to boost his salary by staging a fake racist, homophobic attack supposedly carried out by supporters of President Donald Trump.
Police say they believe Mr Smollett allegedly paid $3,500 (£2,684) to two brothers to stage the supposed hate crime.
In a statement, Superintendent Eddie Johnson said: “Smollett took advantage of the pain and anger of racism to promote his career.
“This stunt was orchestrated by Smollett because he was dissatisfied with his salary.
“He concocted a story about being attacked. We gave him the benefit of the doubt.”
If convicted, the 36-year-old actor could face a prison sentence of one to three years.
Mr Smollett returned to the ‘Empire’ set after he was released from custody.
He was originally going to film throughout the week for the Fox TV series.
So far, Fox has stood by the actor throughout by issuing statements supporting him.
However, since evidence grew that he allegedly staged his own assault, the network said: “We are evaluating the situation and we are considering our options.”
SOURCE: Express.co.uk – Clive Hammond