This classic French countryside dish is chock full of healthy vegetables.
2 medium eggplant, diced into 1/2″ pieces
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
Freshly ground black pepper
1 large onion, chopped
2 bell peppers, cut into 1/4″ spears
1 bay leaf
1 tbsp. tomato paste
1/2 c. dry white wine
2 zucchinis, sliced into 1/4 ” coins
3 cloves garlic
2 c. halved cherry tomatoes
1 tsp. dried oregano
pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
Bunch of fresh basil
Crusty baguette (for serving)
- Place eggplant in a colander and toss with a big pinch of salt. Let sit for about 20 minutes, then pat the eggplant dry to remove excess moisture.
- In a Dutch oven (or a large pot), heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add eggplant and season with salt and pepper. Cook until golden all over, about 6 minutes, then remove the eggplant.
- Add remaining tablespoon of oil to pot. Add onion, bell peppers and bay leaf and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion and peppers are beginning to turn tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and stir until it’s fragrant, about 1 minute, then deglaze the pan with the white wine and reduce until most of the liquid has evaporated. Stir in zucchini and cook until tender, about 4 minutes more. Stir in garlic, cherry tomatoes and oregano.
- Season mixture with red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes start to break down.
- Add the eggplant back to the pot and stir to combine. Garnish with basil and serve warm or at room temperature with baguette.